Fine For Expats When Using Tickets Bought With Cash In Ba?

olofiano

Registered
Hello,

I have my family coming for a visit over christmas and since we are going to travel alot by plane i figured it was a good idea to pay the tickets in cash to turn the dolar blue rate to yet another advantage. But today I heard that only residencies of Argentina are allowed to use these tickets, and if an expats does it they can be charged with a considerable fine at the airport. Has anyone got any first-hand experience with this, or know a bit more about this subject?

Thanks!

/Olof

If you are not a resident of Argentina airfares on Aerolíneas Argentinas are higher than the prices for residents with a DNI. There is no fine at all, there is simply a difference in the price. You will be charged the non-resident price for the non-residents whether you pay for the tickets in cash or by credit card.

I bought tickets to bariloche last month via LAN, i put everyone down as a resident, no one looked twice as we checked in all together, me and my wife with our DNIs and them with their Irish passports, no extra charges, no one said anything.

Maybe AA are more stringent, but with LAN they didn't seem to mind.

There are two issues here. One is buying tickets at the "resident" fare for nonresidents, and the other is using cash to pay for the tickets. I don't know about the first one. It is a risk, but it appears to be one that often pays off. As for paying in cash pesos, regardless of which fare you choose, you can still reap big benefits by doing that, even after paying the 20% extra tax.

There are two issues here. One is buying tickets at the "resident" fare for nonresidents, and the other is using cash to pay for the tickets. I don't know about the first one. It is a risk, but it appears to be one that often pays off. As for paying in cash pesos, regardless of which fare you choose, you can still reap big benefits by doing that, even after paying the 20% extra tax.

Yep you still have at least a 40% benefit

Thanks for the replies! So it seems to me that it could be worth the risk trying if the difference between the price for non-residents tickets and the price you get for booking from Sweden isn't great. Going to do some investigation on this. Although I'm studying here and got the student visa, which technically makes me a resident, I don't have the DNI. Will that make it hard to pay the price I want in the office?

Thanks!

I don't have the DNI. Will that make it hard to pay the price I want in the office?

That will probably make it impossible.

I believe that the only way you may be able to buy tickets for non residents at the resident price is to buy the tickets on line..

I know someone who tried this and when their relatives tried to check in for the domestic flight they had to pay the difference (AA).

This used to be the trick.... You buy the tickets online, you do your check in online, you only have carry ons, you skip the airline counter and go straight through security (who nnly checks if the boarding pass name matches the id), you board the plane, you arrive on destination... as long as aerolineas is not on strike

Back