Fire in Torres Del Paine

El Duderino

Registered
I know this is Chile, but I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. I was planning on going there in February and just heard about this news yesterday!

Apparently the fire is still burning, but under control. It has already consumed 33,000 acres. Parts of the park have re-opened, but there is talk of enforcing a rule that you must hike with a guide and limiting the number of people able to enter the park.

So if you were planning a trip down there soon, it might be a good idea to come up with a Plan B. I'm open to suggestions. I was planning on doing Fitz Roy already, but might need something else to fill up the 2-3 weeks. :(

Just went to Torres del Paine this week. A lot is still closed but it does not smell like smoke or anything and is still worth visiting. The parts that are open currently are Refugios Las Torres, Cuernos, Chileno, and the trails leading to those and the famous Torres peaks. Also the entire northern part of the park is open, Seron, Los Perros, and Refugio Dickson. Glacier Gray area is still closed. According to a police officer I talked to, they are opening the middle line of the W trail in a couple of days (French valley). There is enough to do now in TDP to take up a few days.

ADVICE: DONT stay in the refugios, I got a severe case of chinches/bedbugs (over 300 bites) from either the Chileno or Cuernos refugio. I would recommend camping and using your own tent and sleeping bag. Getting so many bites ruined my trip and I had to come home early!

Back