Flat For January And February W/ A/c

ajl1239

Registered
Hi there,

I'm a consultant in a very expensive Northern city -- DC -- and was thinking about trying to work from Buenos Aires in January and February. For two reasons: (1) to get out of a city -- DC -- that I really don't like all that much. And (2) to, perhaps, save some extra money on living costs.

How much would it cost to find a furnished studio apartment (near a subte station) for two months -- with a/c and reliable internet as non-negotiables -- for January and February? At the formal vs. blue rate?

How long do you think it would take to find said apartment upon arriving in BA?

Cheers and thanks.
Anthony

there's no such thing as paying formal rate vs. blue rate. people price their flats in dollars. if they are going to let you pay in pesos, they will want blue rate equivalent (unless they are really desperate).
Time it takes is equivalent to how fast you are willing to settle.
Internet is never 100% reliable so make sure that if you do follow through with your plan, your landlord is not on vacation the entire time or you will have no way to sort out a potential internet mess.

Do not worry, you can always get franklins in cash from nearby Colonia, Uruguay in the same day, using ATM´s.

Hi there,

I'm a consultant in a very expensive Northern city -- DC -- and was thinking about trying to work from Buenos Aires in January and February. For two reasons: (1) to get out of a city -- DC -- that I really don't like all that much. And (2) to, perhaps, save some extra money on living costs.

How much would it cost to find a furnished studio apartment (near a subte station) for two months -- with a/c and reliable internet as non-negotiables -- for January and February? At the formal vs. blue rate?

How long do you think it would take to find said apartment upon arriving in BA?

Cheers and thanks.
Anthony
Sounds like a lot of trouble for saving $. Do you have to pay your DC place while you are gone ? BsAs is not much cheaper than DC plus the ticket, and if you like to live well. $100 peso flies out of your wallet like nothing. I spend more here than I do in another expensive city, San Francisco. Don't mean to scare you. There is no reliable internet in the city, I have DSL and Cable in my apartment, and sometimes they fail together while internet store/cafe is down at the same time.

there's no such thing as paying formal rate vs. blue rate. people price their flats in dollars. if they are going to let you pay in pesos, they will want blue rate equivalent (unless they are really desperate).
Lucha, this is not correct: plenty of temporary rentals are in pesos. Many of the real estate agencies have temporary rentals in pesos (Remax, Calot and many others), and some of the ones that specialize in short term rentals do their mostly in pesos. Here is an example from At Buenos Aires, of the first twenty apartments only two are quoted in dollars. http://www.atbuenosaires.com/en//vacation_rentals

I don't own a flat -- or have a lease -- in DC. My current lease ends at the end of December. I know I might not save money, but I also suspect -- with some blue pesos -- I might be able to, at least, pay about the same and be in a city I enjoy more, with the chance to visit Patagonia during the summer.

So, about how much do you all reckon a furnished studio flat would cost for a month in a place like, perhaps, Abastos or San Telmo?

How much might a private room in a shared flat or hostel cost for the time?

So, here's an example, friends: http://www.atbuenosaires.com/en/vacation_rental/9486-apartment-in-argentina-capital-federal-buenos-aires-san-telmo

For $6,500 pesos/month -- or US$764/month at the official -- I could have a two-bedroom flat in San Telmo?

Are these actual available flats? Or bait and switch deals? This almost seems too good to be true?

So, here's an example, friends: http://www.atbuenosa...aires-san-telmo

For $6,500 pesos/month -- or US$764/month at the official -- I could have a two-bedroom flat in San Telmo?

Are these actual available flats? Or bait and switch deals? This almost seems too good to be true?
always a little more cost, starting from the Taxi ride from EZE, you might start to get ripped off a little bit.

My dear friend. Noruega has given excellent advice to you. Their is no bait and switch. The only matter of concern is the *deposit money* you hand over. Some owners and real estate dealers try to find a excuse not to return it. Else all is good.

Just come to BA with 10000 usd in pocket..thats about 140000 pesos..That should be enough for you to stay here for 10 months in a nice 1 bed room apartment for 6000 pesos/month all inclusive and about 10000 pesos/month spending money.

I believe these are actual available flats, although the good deals go fast. Remember also that you have to pay a month's deposit and probably a commission, often 20%. But still, a decent deal for something short-term.

Back