Flat For January And February W/ A/c

I know folks have already commented here on the Internet issue, but how fast -- in mbps -- would you say the Internet is in most of these rental flats?

Lucha, this is not correct: plenty of temporary rentals are in pesos. Many of the real estate agencies have temporary rentals in pesos (Remax, Calot and many others), and some of the ones that specialize in short term rentals do their mostly in pesos. Here is an example from At Buenos Aires, of the first twenty apartments only two are quoted in dollars. http://www.atbuenosa...acation_rentals

Sorry Noruega I didn't mean to say that they only list in dollars and they won't accept pesos, just that whatever they decided was the rental price before the whole currency-exchange-blockade is pretty much what they try to keep to, even if they rent in pesos. It's not like they convert at the official rate what they had in mind for their place in dollars... do you get what I mean? Let's say they list it in USD but they say you can pay in pesos ; they usually don't convert the price to pesos at the official rate. They may convert to somewhere in between if they are desperate for a renter for some reason (good chance of this though during summer months as owners get desperate to get their places rented before leaving the city).

Speaking of At Buenos Aires, I would like to know if anyone has had any success with them. The only experience I had with them was that they list fake ads on Zona Prop, pictures of beautiful apartments at affordable prices and then you call to inquire about the one where the listing has literally just gone live, and they say, "no, that one has already been reserved, but we have many more you may be interested in" which I think is really sneaky and terrible. So I just wanted to put the word out about that if you are in the midst of a flat hunt ... but also let anyone prove me wrong by saying if they had a positive experience with that agency.

So, here's an example, friends: http://www.atbuenosa...aires-san-telmo

For $6,500 pesos/month -- or US$764/month at the official -- I could have a two-bedroom flat in San Telmo?

Are these actual available flats? Or bait and switch deals? This almost seems too good to be true?

Bait and Switch deal... from my experience. I spent months and months flat hunting and always ignored the posts from that agency.

Ah but that ad is directly on their website. I'm not sure. Anytime I saw ads from them on ZonaProp they were never legit.

I know folks have already commented here on the Internet issue, but how fast -- in mbps -- would you say the Internet is in most of these rental flats?

It completely varies. It depends what plan the owner signed up for (usually the cheapest one!). Also, some internet companies start out giving you the speed that is promised in the plan and then it drops to half after a few months, or at times is just really bad. I feel like when the weather is bad/ cloudy/stormy the internet is slower but this doesn't make any sense technically if the wires and cables are in the ground...

Also some companies are better for certain areas/ blocks. The crappy thing is that you just don't know until you are in the flat, using the internet day after day. We had a temp rental in Palermo that had Arnet supposedly very high speed. It went on and off all the time, sometimes for several hours and even days! We called, they came over, fixed the problem, then it started again a few weeks later. I vowed never to use them again but when we got our long-term place in Nuñez, I asked the neighbor and he said he swore by Arnet and that it worked GREAT in this building!! So I went for it. Sometimes it's slower than promised ( I check Internet speed test) and there have been 2 or 3 times when it wasn't working at all but it doesn't cut out on a regular basis at least.

It's the same for all of the companies. A friend's dad has a local business and he has subscriptions with all 3 of the main providers for that very reason!!! He can never lose access!!

in a temporary apartment, you will have to rely on the internet supplied by the owner...it can be both good and bad.

i have two connections. a central connection common to all residents of the building. It works super fast except on sundays..i get a speed of 19mbps and can make video calls and watch movies on netflix or itunes or amazon prime without a buffer. Then I have a 2nd connection which is supposedly a 30 mbps connection from another provider. It works slower than my building connection. Then I also have unlimited 3 g from cellphone provider to use as a hotspot as my 3rd option.

Overall, till today in many years I never had a problem with internet.

Hope this answers yr question

To be honest, sounds about the same as my experience with crummy Comcast in DC. Thanks for all the details and advice -- what a helpful message board!

To be honest, sounds about the same as my experience with crummy Comcast in DC.

The fastest internet I have experienced when I used to live in Hong Kong and used to get almost 110 mbps...like lightening..browsing was so delightful!

Back