Flea Markets Around Palermo (Botanical Gardens)?

chancellor

Registered
Not looking for anything in particular, but curious to see some indigenious (authentic, antic) stuff. Are there any flea markets or Argentian concepts that are similar to that? Thank you.

Check out an indoor flea market on Alvarez Thomas 71. Beautiful place for shopping, the products are high quality and there are tons of choices.

All the best for hunting.

Nik

Closest to you is the Saturday and Sunday markets in Parque Centenario, and nearby in Parque de los Andes, both, more or less in Chacarita.
They are a mix of old and new, junk and collectibles- vinyl records, incense, funny clothes, garage sale stuff, shoe repair, you name it.
use this map to find which collective to take.
http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-aires/colectivos/
looks like the 141 to Parque Centenario, the 39 to the Parque de los andes. While at Parque de los andes, visit the organic food market at El Galpon, just a block or two away.
http://pickupthefork.com/2010/07/28/el-galpon-market-organico/

Recoleta, by the cemetery, is just contemporary crafts.

here is a list of some of em-
http://landingpadba.com/ferias-outdoor-markets-visit-buenos-aires/

also, you might want to read my post on neighborhoods- if I could just find the damn thing- think its in "Articles".

To spend an afternoon, San Telmo is nice, but to buy something, it's a different story.
The Dorrego market, like said Nikthaimassage (Alvarez Thomas x Dorrego) is better.

Wondering what kind of indigenious antic/authentic stuff you search for.

Auctions are a good choice too, even better for the prices (but you need to know what you're buying).

Otherwise you have Don Orione, Ejercito de Salvacion, Emaus, etc. but you need to go there everyday at the opening to really get good deals.

Small antique shops "de barrio" are good too, but same thing, you need to spend a lot of time.

Mercadolibre is good too, but you need to have 5/10 years experience buying antiques to find quickly the good deals (looking is like listening, it's something one learns, many people don't know how to look/listen).

I made some excellent purchases in Argentina (like buying something 20 bucks that you resell 15.000, no kidding, but I've been working in the business).

Also, small towns around BA have interesting Antique shops. Almost everytime I go to Capilla del Senor or similar pueblos, I buy something really nice for a great price. Not near Palermo like asked in the OP though.

Thanks everyone. I figured that tomorrow is Sunday so I'll take a morning stroll to something local. Next weekend we can do a longer trip. No car at this point, I may rent one, but need to get a better feel on driving culture around.

As a side note, risking to sound brownnose, but the willingness of the members here to be helpful is remarkable. Simple 'thanks everyone' doesn't quiet do the real appreciation that I have for all your help. Thank you.

Frenchie, some local, truly indigenous "things". The option of 750 multiple didn't cross my mind - my financial acumen doesn't work above making money in Vegas :)

I was also thinking to pick up cheap guitar to use for a month than leave it as a present to the next sucker in this apartment. The cheapest I stumbled on was $790 and they were willing to sell for $750. I can buy it, but figured to check out more.

Entirely based on proximity rather than any other factor, Plaza Serrano on the weekends has a mini-feria with about 50 stands roughly. Some are artisans' stands.

Recoleta's feria or Mataderos are the kingpins of artisan goods in Buenos Aires.

Back