Flight to Miami January 2013

argcalif2010

Registered
Hello All,

Does anybody have any tips on how to get an economical airfare from Buenos Aires to Miami.... leaving December 31 o 1 and returning January 30, 31.

Thanks in advance.

saturday night joke time?

sorry but it is high season for all argentines.

glasgowjohn said:

Yeah, no kidding. I came down this past January and I bought it far ahead of time and a coach ticket was $1,900 US.

I doubt you will be finding any bargain basement prices that time of year. Many locals travel that time of year. And now there is probably less capacity with fewer flights.

glasgowjohn said:

Will be intresting this year to see how the Dollar controls affect travel this high season, while you can still pay for air tickets with Pesos, and use CC's abroad for now at least, my instinct is that more Argentines are going to opt for all inclusive packages that they can pay for in Pesos, which may dictate there travel destinations which in turn could affect the loads on US bound flights, and prices.

I took the UA846 flight to New York last week and there were about 60 empty seats before they cleared the Non Revs at the last minute, were this flight used to be always full, espicially in Business class which had 10 seats that went to Non Revs, though First was full 3 days out when I booked my ticket which was unfourtanate because thats were I preffer to sit, but there are only 5 seats for sale in first to begin with.

Also the UA846/847 flight is going 2 class at the end of the monthwhich is a adition of 31 seats, but they have also downgauged the IAH flight to a 767-200 from a 767-400 which is a reduction 68 seats, for a net loss 37 seats or 8.6% of capacity

With American Airlines, you can pay for your flight in pesos at their office in BA (with U$S 25 fee). They convert the USD price at the official rate, so if you have dollars that you can exchange at the blue market rate or get from Xoom, you'll save a decent amount.

The other option is to sign up for a credit card with airline mile signup bonuses and get your flight on miles. A lot of these have minimum spending requirements, but there are a bunch of tricks to meet those (including paying a partner through Amazon payments, etc.). I just flew my mother-in-law business class to the States for $1800 by buying miles, and we're flying coach for 20,000 miles each way.

As an example, the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex is now offering a 30,000 point signup bonus (35,000 points if referred, so let me know and I'll refer you). You get 10,000 points after your first purchase, and the rest of the points after $5000 spend in six months (easy to do even if you do not spend a lot, using the tricks I mentioned). Now, these points transfer to LAN at a 1:2 ratio (with a 5000 point bonus) which would give you 80,000 LAN miles. This is enough for a coach ticket to Miami. There's lots of other deals out there too...

I booked mine to Orlando via Miami this late December with an agent here and it costs USD1700, if I did it over at AA.com, it is USD 150 cheaper.

Sleuth said:
With American Airlines, you can pay for your flight in pesos at their office in BA (with U$S 25 fee). They convert the USD price at the official rate, so if you have dollars that you can exchange at the blue market rate or get from Xoom, you'll save a decent amount.

The other option is to sign up for a credit card with airline mile signup bonuses and get your flight on miles. A lot of these have minimum spending requirements, but there are a bunch of tricks to meet those (including paying a partner through Amazon payments, etc.). I just flew my mother-in-law business class to the States for $1800 by buying miles, and we're flying coach for 20,000 miles each way.

As an example, the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex is now offering a 30,000 point signup bonus (35,000 points if referred, so let me know and I'll refer you). You get 10,000 points after your first purchase, and the rest of the points after $5000 spend in six months (easy to do even if you do not spend a lot, using the tricks I mentioned). Now, these points transfer to LAN at a 1:2 ratio (with a 5000 point bonus) which would give you 80,000 LAN miles. This is enough for a coach ticket to Miami. There's lots of other deals out there too...

Back