Flights to Miami January

syngirl

Registered
I was looking at flights to Miami in late January yesterday -- they're posted at around $1500 usd (!!) -- in other people's experience will these prices go down a bit if we wait awhile to book? We're looking post-15 january so shouldn't be seeing holiday inflation at that time.

We're actually not looking to go to Florida but probably to somewhere in Caribbean... anyone have any suggestions for better way to get there rather than via Florida?

thx

I do that flight several times a year and $1500 is about the maximum. So you shouldn't risk too much waiting, I doubt they'll go much higher. However, I doubt they'll go much lower either. Average price is around 1200 USD.

Have you looked at going via Mexico? Might be cheaper. (depending on where you're going in Caribbean). Have you checked Kayak.com? Looked at alternate dates?

Flights to Mexico from here are horrendously expensive, almost double flights to London....and that's not going direct which is 3 or 4 times the price....

If you have a Smart Phone or Ipad, give this Kayak Mobile App a try. It is free. The mobile App offers a lot more than the standard app. It will give you an idea of what deals are out there and when. Plug in EZE as your departure airport. It has served me well.

http://www.kayak.com/mobile

That sounds really expensive... I make the MIA-EZE flight a few times a year, and the most I've ever paid (most recently) was $1,041 for a December 6th departure. If you play around with dates enough, you SHOULD be able to find a cheaper alternative... the daily Aerolineas non-stop #1303 usually costs about $1200, and LAN/Avianca usually have some decent fares (to be fair, though, these r/t flights began in Miami and not Ezeiza; not sure how much of a price difference that makes.)

Also, remember that you can fly from Bogota to Orlando for $59-89 each way on Jetblue. If flights from Ezeiza to Bogota are significantly more reasonable, you could switch to Jetblue there, than hop on the $30 Amtrak or one of the many tourist shuttles from Orlando to Miami.

I work for the airlines. I can tell you that the fares will likely not go down. There is much demand right now between EZE and Miami because the economy is strong here and there are more Argentines flying than before. The flights are almost always full now and it is only October.....traditionally low season.

if you go via colombia, you can do it for around $1000. BA to Bogota is somewhere around $600, and then you can get Colombia to the US for under $400. Ayres does flights to Ft. lauderdale..

I had used Miami as my normal point of entry into the US, but not in January ... it's peak snowbirds season for those heading South for the winter.

I just double checked IAD, Washington Dulles, for the same period and got a fair of $1145. So if you can avoid Miami, do so. JFK and IAD will be cheaper in January.

If you decide to go through Mexico to save a couple hundred bucks be aware.... You'll need time enough on the ground to collect your checked luggage, clear customs, then recheck everything going on to the US. I just did it last month...and in my opinion, the grueling trek through the various systems, Argentina, Mexico and the US, just wasnt worth the $200. Saved. Afterwards, I ended up laying over in a cheap South Beach hotel room just to sleep and recover for three days before I pressed on.

Since Syngirl is going to the Carribean for final destination, my thought was that she could avoid the US altogether and fly from Mexico, Columbia, etc, directly to one of the islands.

syngirl said:
We're actually not looking to go to Florida but probably to somewhere in Caribbean... anyone have any suggestions for better way to get there rather than via Florida?

Where in the Caribbean? We might be able to give you some more ideas.

Back