Flights U.S > SA, SA>US

donquixote

Registered
I am planing to spend the winter in South America. Depart the US around January 2009, I don't have a frim date to return th the US. Two one way tickets are almost the price of two round trip ticket. Those of you travelers that wing it. What is the best or cheapest way to fly.
Unlike BsAs most cities in SA do not have short term rentals. I am not thrilled about living in a dormitory and hotels are an expensive way of staying for a short time. Are there any suggestions that you may have? I spent three month in BSAS last winter. I loved the city but I never got a good nights sleep.
Saludos mi hermanos y hermanas, DQ

settle now... I find my best flights on kayak.com
I bought a one way ticket here myself and am looking to get back around a similar time. Keep in mind, it will always be more expensive leaving BA to the US, especially in a busier time (winter->summer). Right now, the prices are over $1500 it seems but you gotta check a lot. As for me, Im 21, unemployed and soon to be walking back up if a miracle of financing does not come my way. If anyone gets any leads, send me a note!

Try Spirit Airlines to Lima Peru. From Fort Lauderdale you can fly for $224 plus tax etc. (actual price over $300), on a one way ticket which they sell. From Lima you take a bus to Argentina. A bus trip would not be expensive and you could make some stops along the way seeing more of S.A.

I just noticed on AA you now have a $350 'co-pay' to use your air miles plus a surcharge

If you're using miles, the plus is that you don't have to pay a change fee if you change the dates (providing the same mileage award class is available on a new date).
Kayak has the best comparison tool. I believe Air Mexicana was running a special (at least from NYC) & the ticket was around $550 one way.
I would also recommend you are flexible in your departure city. For example, the direct flight from JFK-EZE was $1200 one way. However, if I fly from Toronto (which is atually closer to me than NYC), the flight is only $600 one way (TOR-JFK-EZE) and it's the SAME direct flight from NYC. Makes no sense but airlines rarely do.

"citygirl" said:
I would also recommend you are flexible in your departure city. For example, the direct flight from JFK-EZE was $1200 one way. However, if I fly from Toronto (which is atually closer to me than NYC), the flight is only $600 one way (TOR-JFK-EZE) and it's the SAME direct flight from NYC. Makes no sense but airlines rarely do.
can you just get on at NYC if your wanted to?

"Fishface" said:
can you just get on at NYC if your wanted to?
If you didn't get on your flight in Toronto your onward flight to Buenos Aires will be cancelled - this is how airlines keep you from taking advantage of fares aimed at different markets. 
BTW, the $350 copay for award travel on AA only applies to upgrade awards, not regular awards - at only 40k miles off-peak to Buenos Aires they're around the best value economy class awards out there. 

these all seem to be about getting to BA. I just got here but Im starting to consider how and when Im getting back. I cant find anything less than $1200. Anyone have any leads?
And bob is right, they will cancel the rest of your trip. learned that one the hard way.

samtcam - don't know where you are flying into or your dates but right now, flights are expensive. Kayak usually has the best rates, my only recommendation is to keep checking there. Usually Air Mexicana and LAN have the cheapest rates.
Fishface - it doesn't make any difference to me - I would have flown into NYC anyway. It is just funny that adding an additional leg to the flight makes it 50% cheaper. But I have given up questioning American Airlines!

Back