Flying home for Christmas

Oh yes, sorry, my layover comment was more directed towards layovers in South American airports. It seems the deals in despegar frequently have a 6+ hour layover somewhere in SA which is just awful.

I'm really surprised there are no direct flights from Chicago though! How strange:confused:

Anyway, good luck and enjoy holidays in the US if you decide to go:)

Funny thing that I noticed, and I've seen it A LOT with United:

Direct flight to Washington DC: $1191
Flight to NYC connecting in DC: $1112

May wish to consider checked baggage allowance when selecting an airline. Believe all US airlines to Argentina now allow only one free checked bag. LAN is about the only airline allowing two free checked bags from CONUS to Argentina.

dennisr said:
May wish to consider checked baggage allowance when selecting an airline. Believe all US airlines to Argentina now allow only one free checked bag. LAN is about the only airline allowing two free checked bags from CONUS to Argentina.
If you have status with a US airline they give you a greater baggage allowance, on UA,CO, or Copa I get 3 70lbs bags for free even when traveling in coach.

There used to be a way to trick Copa fares and take off around $560, but that closed about a month ago, just flew my last tricked fare on them to the US at around $500 rt, and got upgraded on all 4 legs to Executive class for free. There is still one airline that can be substantially tricked from BA to the US, but there base fares are to high to make it worthwhile.

What I am starting to do now for travel to the US is a combination of using miles, and creative routing to combine two trips for one price One example would buying a ticket from BA to Europe, and then Europe to the US, which can be had for under $800 with no tricks, and gets me(with elite bonuses) up to 30,000 RDM's(redeemable miles), and then using those miles (20,000-30,000 depending on the airline) for an award ticket back to BA.

Here is a trip just completed,

EZE-JFK(stopover)JFK-HKG(stopover(J))HKG-IST(Stopover(CC))IST-OTP(stopover(Travelled back to IST by train))IST-LAX(Stopover(CC(driving between LAX and SFO)))SFO-ORD(stopover)ORD-MIA(stopover)MIA-EZE

The total cost for all the flights was right around $1,500(and 1 upgrade certificate), which I don't consider to bad a deal for a 4 continent trip over 6 weeks, also the trip will netted me about 65,000 redeemable miles(enough for a free EZE-USA r/t), and 40,000 medallion qualifying miles.

(J) denotes the flight is in Business class, (CC) denotes the flight is in Comfort Class which is Turkish Airways premium economy product, like a US domestic first seat but better, the other flights are in economy but are upgrade eligible(except IST-OTP), and I cleared all the upgrades at no additional cost to me.

I am still building my next trip which is little more complicated than the last, as it has tie in's to the trip after it, but here is what it is starting to look like,

EZE-LON(stopover(J))LON-MIA(stopover(J))MIA-SAN(Stopover)SAN-SFO(stopover)SFO-SEA(stopover)SEA-PEK(Stopover)PEK-PVG(Stopover)PVG-NRT(Stopover)NRT-BKK(Stopover)BKK-SGN(stopover)SGN-LAX(Stopover(J))LAX-IAD(Stopover)IAD-EZE(Stopover(J))

The total net cost of the trip will be around $2,200, and will net me approximately 90,000 redeemable miles.

Greg - you are the master! Even after reading most of that thread, I couldn't figure out how to do that :)

I just got a trip from EZE to Vienna via Madrid for $1600 including tax and I thought that was a great deal:D You could probably do it for about 400.. lol

Greg

Interesting.. Noticed things kind of changed for US carriers Oct 1st, even for FF. I too got the three 70# bags but for tickets purchase after Oct. 1st, things changed. Will have to check it out. Another angle is to route your trip through Brazil. Brazil has some sort of consumer law which mandates two checked 70 pound bags free.

dennisr said:
Greg

Interesting.. Noticed things kind of changed for US carriers Oct 1st, even for FF. I too got the three 70# bags but for tickets purchase after Oct. 1st, things changed. Will have to check it out. Another angle is to route your trip through Brazil. Brazil has some sort of consumer law which mandates two checked 70 pound bags free.
They did change some of the benefits, but for UA/CO you still get 3 bags if you are 1P(Premier executive)/Platinum or above, which requires flying 50,000 EQM's a year. Starting next year for the 100% RDM bonus you will have to be 1K(100,000 MQM's) 1P's will only get 50% I think. There was some other devaluation's to the UA/CO combined program for next year as well, but they don't overly affect me as I am a 1K. here is a link to the 2012 UA program benefits:
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/en/mp/MileagePlusin2012/ProgramOverview

citygirl said:
Greg - you are the master! Even after reading most of that thread, I couldn't figure out how to do that :)

I just got a trip from EZE to Vienna via Madrid for $1600 including tax and I thought that was a great deal:D You could probably do it for about 400.. lol

Yah that thread can be a little confusing, never-mind it is just short of a 1,000 pages now. Were you able to book that$550 LAX-EZE for your friend that I sent you the details on at the beginning of this year?

The best I see for EZE-VIE via MAD is $1,438, with the potential to trick it down to around $1,050, though i would have to work on a trick for that fare as I don't usually fly that airline, and am not up to date on what works for them, but my instinct is that it should be possible to trick them, now $400 even I can't do that, at least vie MAD:D.

Also you could go EZE-AMS-VIE, VIE-FCO-NYC/MIA for around $950/$1,000 untricked(possibly as low as $750 tricked), and then use miles to get back to EZE, or EZE-LON-VIE, VIE-LON-NYC/MIA, NYC/MIA-EZE for around $1,850 with the potential to trick it for about $350 in savings.

Back