Flying via TAM

No you do not need a Brazilian VISA for international passengers in-transit.

Although, I would be more concerned when she is checking in at point of US departure. I guarantee IF she has a problem, it will be at check-in.

I travelled via Rio in 2007, it was just like travelling anywhere in Europe, ie you don't go through customs, you don't go through immigration, and you don't see you baggage. You just go from one plane to the other.
However (and I cannot say this happens all the time as it was an experienc I do not want to repeat) the airport was totally disorganised. They could not tell us which gate to use untill fifteen minutes before departure. There were huge delays and two planes were leaving from the same gate.

2006/2007 were some rough years for Brazilian aviation. A jet crashed in September 2006 (GOL 1907) and another in July of 2007 (TAM 3054). Air traffic controllers were also going on strike before and after the September incident.

When I traveled to Sao Paulo in December of 2006, it was a nightmare. I walked to the end of the airport for a flight to Porto Alegre, arrived to the gate, and I was told that the gate had already changed. The monitors said nothing about the change and no announcements were made either.

The good news: I was in Sao Paulo this past November 2009, and there were no problems. :)

Back