Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

RWS said:
A major allure of Argentina (at least for me, who am refugeeing from a country long subjected to great pressures that, cumulatively, are now causing it to crumble into ruin) is its sociability. Of course, I like fine cuisine, too (and have the belly to show it). But, if I must choose between fine food and fine company, I'll live on pasta and water.

But good pasta is not a 'torture'. A good pasta cooked just right simply with good olive oil, garlic and some pepper is all you need. They you don't have to choose bet wen the food & the friends, you can have both.

malbec said:
Well, why should we change the way we eat? Only because a handfull of foreigners wish it? How arrogant is that???
If you don't like argentine food, just cook whatever you like at home or open a restaurant...and treat yourself on one of those modern dishes like chicken wings on sushi rice with some creme caramel on it.
And good for Perú that they have such a highly regarded cuisine.
I've visited over 50 countries so far...give me a good 'boring' asado anytime!

Why should you read a good book? Why should you watch an interesting documentary? Why should you listen to speeches in opposition of your point of view? Why should you visit a church outside your religion once in a while? Why should you travel? Why? It's called diversity, something you sound like you could use. Open your eyes to a world that growing smaller and smaller all around you. "Malbec" tear down that wall!

cujodu said:
Why should you read a good book? Why should you watch an interesting documentary? Why should you listen to speeches in opposition of your point of view? Why should you visit a church outside your religion once in a while? Why should you travel? Why? It's called diversity, something you sound like you could use. Open your eyes to a world that growing smaller and smaller all around you. "Malbec" tear down that wall!
Why should he force himself to try new things? Just because the world is smaller doesn´t mean that one needs to try everything. I am an adventurer and a foodie, but a lot of people in many countries all over the world do not like to experiment, and are perfectly happy with what they already know. And if they are perfectly happy, what is wrong about that? Being content shouldn´t be taken with such negativity imho. See, he is happy, isn´t that what we all strive to get? A good book, a good movie, a good meal, those are just subjectivities: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: RWS
One more thing: in some culinary cultures, the norm is to cover the natural flavor of a product with spices, marinades, etc to turn it into something else ( for example French, Indian, Chinese cuisine ) In other cuisines ( like Japanese, Argentine, Italian ) the star is the product itself, that is most likely the reason why beef is only served with salt here and not all spiced up.

nikad said:
Why should he force himself to try new things? Just because the world is smaller doesn´t mean that one needs to try everything. I am an adventurer and a foodie, but a lot of people in many countries all over the world do not like to experiment, and are perfectly happy with what they already know. And if they are perfectly happy, what is wrong about that? Being content shouldn´t be taken with such negativity imho. See, he is happy, isn´t that what we all strive to get? A good book, a good movie, a good meal, those are just subjectivities: the beauty is in the eye of the watcher.

but, seriously?

cujodu said:
but, seriously?
lol seriously! since when being cosmopolite is the only way to go? I like diversity, and that includes people who do not like diversity ;)

nikad said:
Also food options are more varied in the cities, but in small US towns you won´t find a much more than fast food chains ( Wendy´s, BK, MacDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, IHOP, Denny´s, etc ) and some local dinners...

The fact that you didn't lead (or even include) Dairy Queen & Sonic informs me that you've never been to "Small Town, USA".

That being said, your observation is correct. When Lexington, MO had a Chinese family move into town and open a real live (American version of a) Chinese Restaurant, it was the talk of the town. And instantly popular because it was so exotic...

But alas, even the one Chinese restaurant in town couldn't make it.

My point is, yes, everyone has their comfort food, their favorites that they could eat every day of their life. But if anyone comes to my home and I have prepared Chop Suey, or American style pizza, does that give them the place to say "no thanks, I thought we were having asado," no, maybe if they have an allergy, but it's hardly arrogance to expect people to try different things. Don't have to like it, or eat it all, but c'mon and try it. Especially in a blog called BAExpats, I would expect people to talk about the food they miss from their own country. Of, course I was the same the first 3 months here, nothing American, all Argentinian, but after a while even we expats (most of us) miss our comfort foods, our favorites. We shouldn't be attacked for that in any forum, especially here.

Napoleon said:
The fact that you didn't lead (or even include) Dairy Queen & Sonic informs me that you've never been to "Small Town, USA".

That being said, your observation is correct. When Lexington, MO had a Chinese family move into town and open a real live (American version of a) Chinese Restaurant, it was the talk of the town. And instantly popular because it was so exotic...

But alas, even the one Chinese restaurant in town couldn't make it.

Hmmm I am unable to tell how small were these towns ( I am a city girl! ) but I will have to look for Dairy Queen and Sonic next time I visit ;)

cujodu said:
My point is, yes, everyone has their comfort food, their favorites that they could eat every day of their life. But if anyone comes to my home and I have prepared Chop Suey, or American style pizza, does that give them the place to say "no thanks, I thought we were having asado," no, maybe if they have an allergy, but it's hardly arrogance to expect people to try different things. Don't have to like it, or eat it all, but c'mon and try it. Especially in a blog called BAExpats, I would expect people to talk about the food they miss from their own country. Of, course I was the same the first 3 months here, nothing American, all Argentinian, but after a while even we expats (most of us) miss our comfort foods, our favorites. We shouldn't be attacked for that in any forum, especially here.

I know what you mean, about comfort foods geez, I made so many trips to the customs to get boxes with peanut butter cupts, velveeta cheese, spices and dressings, candy, etc that I can´t count them. Of course if I am at anybody´s and am offered a different meal I would at the very least try it ( else I would be considered extremely rude! ) I guess such reactions have more to do with education than anything else, see I was taught to not leave anything on my plate, wether it was great, bad or so so. You have to understand that most restaurants cater to locals and carry on their menus the meals people demand the most. It really is all about supply and demand. If you dig, there are many places with ethnic foods, but the truth is that most Argentines do not enjoy exotic food or spicy meals. I for one, love them so I have a hard time as well, I generally rather cook myself as I am tired of the milanesa, pizza, empanada, burger, chicken delivery places, but that is just me ;)

Reactions: RWS
Back