Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

cujodu said:
Why in the world would you have to choose? It's pretty simple to have both, even possible here in Argentina.
'Sorry, "cujodu", I should remember that many who post here aren't native English-speakers. My construction simply posed a hypothetical.

mini said:
But good pasta is not a 'torture'. A good pasta cooked just right simply with good olive oil, garlic and some pepper is all you need. They you don't have to choose bet wen the food & the friends, you can have both.
I'm not at all so fond of pasta as many are (perhaps a result of my upbringing, son of Americans, largely in northwestern Europe -- I delight in French cuisine and am content with the best of American -- or German, or Danish, or English, or many another). Fine Italian cuisine does please me, but -- de gustibus non disputantum -- o algo así -- certainly not as my main diet.

It's all in that diversity thing, isn't it?

To me whether or not someone is food-adventurous says a LOT about their personality.

It takes multiple exposures to a food for your taste buds to develop. I'm sorry, I love living here, but I do think that the Argentine palate is very underdeveloped. Although I should correct myself -- it's not all of Argentina, it is BA specifically. In the North they do have foods that in BA would be considered as spicy as a Vindaloo curry (HAHAHA).

I was the pickiest eater growing up. I hated everything. Every night was a battle with my mum. Every night she'd make me have 5 bites of whatever food I was refusing. 5 bites and then I was allowed to leave the table (this meant many nights of me sitting alone at the table after everyone had left and my mum was cleaning up the kitchen).

My friend on the other hand had a mum who thought that no one should be forced to try anything they don't like. So if she refused to eat something just because it looked funny (forget about tasting it), that was it, she didn't have to.

Today, I will eat and try anything. I love all variety of foods and the few things I don't like are usually related to achurras (kidneys, chinculinos). My friend? She won't eat anything that even looks slightly "odd" to her.

Portenos are like my friend -- if it is something they don't recognise, something that looks a bit odd, the large majority will just refuse to try it. I fortunately have found myself an Argentine that will try anything, and he even likes spice! If he weren't food-adventurous, things probably never would have worked out between us.

syngirl said:
To me whether or not someone is food-adventurous says a LOT about their personality.

It takes multiple exposures to a food for your taste buds to develop. I'm sorry, I love living here, but I do think that the Argentine palate is very underdeveloped. Although I should correct myself -- it's not all of Argentina, it is BA specifically. In the North they do have foods that in BA would be considered as spicy as a Vindaloo curry (HAHAHA).

I was the pickiest eater growing up. I hated everything. Every night was a battle with my mum. Every night she'd make me have 5 bites of whatever food I was refusing. 5 bites and then I was allowed to leave the table (this meant many nights of me sitting alone at the table after everyone had left and my mum was cleaning up the kitchen).

My friend on the other hand had a mum who thought that no one should be forced to try anything they don't like. So if she refused to eat something just because it looked funny (forget about tasting it), that was it, she didn't have to.

Today, I will eat and try anything. I love all variety of foods and the few things I don't like are usually related to achurras (kidneys, chinculinos). My friend? She won't eat anything that even looks slightly "odd" to her.

Portenos are like my friend -- if it is something they don't recognise, something that looks a bit odd, the large majority will just refuse to try it. I fortunately have found myself an Argentine that will try anything, and he even likes spice! If he weren't food-adventurous, things probably never would have worked out between us.

What a great post Syngirl and I completely agree with your thoughts. I believe that change is possible in Buenos Aires and have seen how a small time city mentality can change for the better.

When I grew up in Sydney eating Greek food was considered weird and was called wog food . There was little respect from the mainly white anglo saxon protestants for the culinary tastes of 1000s of years of history. In the early 1980s in Australia there was a food explosion that revolutionised the bland food of the Australian palate. This I see as an extremely positive development as it broke down barriers and caused the Australian culinary scene to change dramatically and now it is considered to be one of the worlds best. Chefs from down under are amongst the worlds most prized and known to be innovative .

Here in Argentina which has the best land in the world and a very long coastline with a tremendous range of fish should have a unbeatable cuisine . Why then does it not ? Why is change so resistant in Porteños? This is a mystery for many people here who have emmigrated to your beautiful country .

Also keep in mind cost. Any sort of food development that is exclusively reserved for wealthy people, won't cause any revolution at all. And i don't see ethnic food being affordable for the majority of the people any time soon, not in a way it can compite with cheap beef.

fedecc said:
Also keep in mind cost. Any sort of food development that is exclusively reserved for wealthy people, won't cause any revolution at all. And i don't see ethnic food being affordable for the majority of the people any time soon, not in a way it can compite with cheap beef.

Ethnic food should never be the domain of the wealthy as it is in Buenos Aires where Thai, Indian and Vietnamese food is outrageously expensive. The ingredients are very easy to import from Asia and the meat and fish in Argentina abundant to create hundreds of small places.

In most societies in the world ethnic foods are the cheapest and I can tell you of my experience of this working in Sydney and Melbourne that for less than 25 Argentine pesos you can get a fantastic meal .

Ethnic food should never be the domain of the wealthy as it is in Buenos Aires where Thai, Indian and Vietnamese food is outrageously expensive.

Are the basic ingredients available in the larger supermarkets or specialty shops in BA so one can cook these at home, at least?

I mean mostly spices, curry pastes, etc.

dsc said:
Are the basic ingredients available in the larger supermarkets or specialty shops in BA so one can cook these at home, at least?

I mean mostly spices, curry pastes, etc.

Gourmet cooks and professional chefs might disagree, but I find plenty of supplies to create almost everything I desire...at least on the dinner table.

Gourmet cooks and professional chefs might disagree, but I find plenty of supplies to create almost everything I desire...at least on the dinner table.
Good stuff. I'm not too fussy either. I just like my spice & heat fix every now and again.

Thx Steve

dsc said:
Good stuff. I'm not too fussy either. I just like my spice & heat fix every now and again.

Thx Steve

You're welcome, but I should also add that two of my former roommates (in the 80's) were well trained restaurant chefs....and we all cooked together.

(I learned from them.)

Back