For those overstaying....

Caribbean Cool

Registered
I just got back from immigration....If you leave before March 20th....just go. No restrictions. After that the law changes. What that new regulation is I have no idea.

The law cannot change then.
Perhaps they ment that the DNU of the emergency expires the 14th and the immigration decree that said precarias don’t expire on March 20 also expires.

I just got back from immigration....If you leave before March 20th....just go. No restrictions. After that the law changes. What that new regulation is I have no idea.
My crystal ball is pretty clear this morning (not a single cloud in the sky).

My best guess is that if you were in Argentina on a valid 90 day tourist visa when the lockdown and subsequent extensions of the 90 day visa began, that on March 20th you will have finally "overstayed" your tourist visa and wil have to pay the appropriate fee (aka fine) when you leave.

I imagine it will still be possible to ask for a prorroga de permanencia (90 day extension of the 90 day visa) for the normal fee if you ask for the extension before March 20. If you ask for the prorroga (up to) 30 days after that, the fee for the prorroga will increase by 50%

My best guess is that if you were in Argentina on a valid 90 day tourist visa when the lockdown and subsequent extensions of the 90 day visa began, that on March 20th you will have finally "overstayed" your tourist visa and wil have to pay the appropriate fee (aka fine) when you leave.
Do you have an idea what the fee is? I arrived here in Feb 2020 and will most likely leave for a few months in May / June. I heard in the past the fee was rather low. I don't mind paying the penalty as long as it is not extremely expensive

Do you have an idea what the fee is? I arrived here in Feb 2020 and will most likely leave for a few months in May / June. I heard in the past the fee was rather low. I don't mind paying the penalty as long as it is not extremely expensive

The last time I checked (March 15, 2020) the fee for an overstay of up to two (?) years was $4500 pesos and the fee for the prorroga de permanencia (90 day extension) was $2700 pesos if paid prior to expiration. A 50% penalty was added to that if you asked for the prorroga up to 30 days after the expiration.

PS: I don't know if it is possible to get the prorroga on line now or if it has to be done in person or what the new time frame (if any) for the prorroga might be.

Last edited:
So, the first poster is telling us he has inside info the the "no vence" situation for visas or other documents good on March 17, 2020 will end on March 20, and there will not be a period of grace to get out without the fine? Anybody else else hear anything?

If you want a grace period, as I wrote in the third post of this thread, you have the option to request a prorroga de permanencia which will extend a 90 day visa by 90 days and there is a grace period of 30 days after the 90 day visa expires to ask for the prorroga.

Of course you would have to pay for the prorroga, but the $2700 peso cost of the prorroga, if applied for before March 20, is $1800 less than the cost of the $4500 (in most cases) overstay fine. I beleive the prorroga will cost $4050 if requested duting the 30 day "grace" period.

Back