How much would it cost to open one of those vegetable shops

The type you see 4 on every corner if you had USD and nothing to do with your life
Question? Why all veggie shops are owned by Bolivians or Peruvians.? Almost no Argentinians or other..! Maybe the growers mafia will boycott you..?

Question? Why all veggie shops are owned by Bolivians or Peruvians.? Almost no Argentinians or other..! Maybe the growers mafia will boycott you..?

I know an Argentinian that works for Bolivians tonight he works in 2 different vegetable shops he has to travel from one to the other so messed up I hope Milei can give the small shops back to Argentinos

As is known most greenhouses near la Plata are owned by Bolivians and Peruvians, consequently prices for Argentinian greengrocers may be prohibitive.

I know an Argentinian that works for Bolivians tonight he works in 2 different vegetable shops he has to travel from one to the other so messed up I hope Milei can give the small shops back to Argentinos
Part of the DNU was something about deregulating where places that wholesalers can operate. If there's a mafia of Bolivians running the only wholesale market in town, that may keep locals out of the business. Deregulation may also viabilize things like community supported agriculture, where someone with a farm right outside the city can setup a delivery route for whatever they grew that is in season that week.

If you are from Argentina, you can easily get into the market. They all buy their produce at a main central market. Even if Bolivians run those markets, I don't see you having any problems. I have done extensive business with Bolivians. They are one of the easiest to get along with, honestly. It's definitely not a business I would want venture into however.

Last edited:
Each fruit/vegetable shop, whether owned by a Bolivian/Peruvian or an Argentine, negotiates wholesale prices based on longevity of doing business at the Mercado Central, etc.

I have been shopping at the same verduleria in my neighborhood since 2005. Quality of goods plus prices have always been highly competitive.
It's a family owned business....mother/father (both born in Bolivia), 2 daughters, a son and a myriad of cousins all born in CABA. The couple opened their first shop 40 years ago in Caballito. To date they have invested in real estate in our neighborhood....2 verdulerias plus a 6-unit apt building adjacent to the main verduleria (where family members + their employees are housed) plus a Mercedes Benz truck. The 19-yr old son is studying accounting at UBA as well as working part-time 7 days per week in the evening at both their shops.
Every year from Jan 15-Feb 15 they close both shops. Everyone goes to Bolivia on vacation.

While they are closed I shop at another store in my neighborhood. This one is owned by a family of Italian origin. Three generations under one roof which includes ownership of the store plus (4) apt units above the store.

Back