Foreigners Complaining about Higher Prices

This does happen.
I bought a couple of books in Martinez a while back and the machine wouldn't accept my card due to a fault with the machine. The owner told me to take the books and come back next day to sort things out, which I did.
This sort of thing has happened to me a lot and restores one's faith in human nature. :)

Prices of food here are ridiculous, in the three cities in Europe I've lived Amsterdam, Barcelona and Lisboa I payed a way less for the same food. And the food in Spain and Portugal is much, much, much better and diversified than here.
Even the snacks are here more expensive!
The only thing now which is less expensive than Amsterdam is urban transport.

Speaking of prices, the other day I saw the most outrageous thing I have seen here yet. A bag of doritos (the tiny snack size bag) had a sticker label pasted over the pre printed price on the bag. $10 pesos for the bag. When I was in New York last October those little bags of Doritos STILL cost 25 cents!

mariano-BCN said:
Prices of food here are ridiculous, in the three cities in Europe I've lived Amsterdam, Barcelona and Lisboa I payed a way less for the same food. And the food in Spain and Portugal is much, much, much better and diversified than here.
Even the snacks are here more expensive!
The only thing now which is less expensive than Amsterdam is urban transport.

But then again a bike is only 25 euro and will last a long time if locked properly haha

The best way to put an out of line vendor back in line is to tell all of your neighbours about them. And also be sure to complain while in line LOUDLY so all in line can hear...Some will shrug their shoulders and say" what do you expect IT' ARGENTINA!" but many others will chastise a dishonest merchant for screwing a customer and shop elsewhere.........Nothing except corruption succeeds with the"""""" OH WELL"""" attitude!

james p said:
The best way to put an out of line vendor back in line is to tell all of your neighbours about them. And also be sure to complain while in line LOUDLY so all in line can hear...Some will shrug their shoulders and say" what do you expect IT' ARGENTINA!" but many others will chastise a dishonest merchant for screwing a customer and shop elsewhere.........Nothing except corruption succeeds with the"""""" OH WELL"""" attitude!

My worry with upping the ante on Argentinians that screw me over is that it seems likely that they have "friends". You know, those kinds of friends. The Giovanni "Two Shoes" Feringhelli, Louisville Slugger kind of friends. As a foreigner, I'm in a rather poor position to deal with that. It's bad enough on home turf.

It seems like to survive in Argentina long term, one may need to invest in certain "friends" of one's own. When in Sicily, which it essentially is...

Back