Foreigners with property in BA

"soulskier" said:
I think the fact you can still buy a nice little apartment for under 100k in great neighborhood a world class city is unheard of, virtually anywhere else in the world, and should not be overlooked. How much can it really fall versus the potential to grow? Chile and Costa Rica for example, which both don't compare to BA, are definelty a lot more for a similar property.
Granadaiscool, FYI, BA is about a third of the price as the US at the moment, restaurants, cab rides, events, etc. Some things like electronics are obviously more expensive.

Cabs are cheaper but I don´t consider around 30 dollar an hour cheap.
All imported stuff is more expensive, locally produced products normally are or expensive or of crappy quality. Gas,water and electricity and public transport is cheaper but does not offer the same level of service then in the USA.
Going out is normally more expensive or on par with the USA
You can´t live in BA with an decent lifestyle for 1500 dollar, I can in Holland.

"Granadaiscool" said:
Going out is normally more expensive or on par with the USA .
What are you talking about? When was the last time you had a nice dinner and bottle of wine in the US? In BA, it can be done for U$S30, in the States plan on a hundie. Granada, I thnk your facts need rechecking!

"soulskier" said:

What are you talking about? When was the last time you had a nice dinner and bottle of wine in the US? In BA, it can be done for U$S30, in the States plan on a hundie. Granada, I thnk your facts need rechecking!
Going out to dinner might be a bit more expensive but not 50% expensive. Not even close.
I can by the way easily take a girl out to dinner and have a drink and spend 35 euro for 2 persons. I don´t need to do something special in BA to spend that.
Thanks for replying on my other points, or did you just run out of arguments?

"Granadaiscool" said:

Going out to dinner might be a bit more expensive but not 50% expensive. Not even close.
I can by the way easily take a girl out to dinner and have a drink and spend 35 euro for 2 persons. I don´t need to do something special in BA to spend that.
Thanks for replying on my other points, or did you just run out of arguments?
Actually after reading your repsonses on the board I determined that you are an argumentive person, thus no need to respond or argue as that is not the way I choose to live life.

I keep getting mixed signals about the cost of living in BA. Some people say that the comparative cost of living is about 20% lower then in the US, others say 50%, of course it depends on where you live in the US. Some say you can live very well on $20,000 US. I was in BA in 2005 and I got a hair cut for 11 pesos or $3.50 US. Here in the US Oregon I pay $18.00 US. I realize that imported goods are expensive in Argentina. I am retired and recieve about $24,000 per year I also have about $150,000 in savings. How would you think my lifestyle would be. I realize that is a relative question.
Salud

You can do whatever you want, still save money and if you like BA, are good in health and plan to stay for atleast 5 years it might be a good idea to buy a property and with your age I would buy something you like.
Prices have risen about 30 to 40% since 2005 and I would say it´s 20% cheaper then the USA

There are varied points of views about this topic and all are respected
Argentina has had a very rocky history with periods of great wealth.
Yes I am positive about the future and beleive that a long period of economic growth is possible.
The last few years the changes in Buenos Aires have been positive overall and in particular employment is more available to many in this society.
Inflation is a problem and needs to be adressed . I am optimistic that the present government will make some huge changes in the coming years hopefully for the betterment of this society for us all living and working here.

They have already found the sollution which is banning exports of meat and price controls.

"donquixote" said:
I am retired and receive about $24,000 per year I also have about $150,000 in savings. How would you think my lifestyle would be. I realize that is a relative question.
The US dollar is probably in for a rough ride and with increasingly turbulent global markets it's difficult to arrive at a sensible prognosis and hence to give advice. As a matter of principle, though, you should get out of US dollars and the same can be said of other fiat currencies (though not with the same force). A property investment outside BsAs might not be a bad idea -- maybe some place like Rosario, Mendoza or Cordoba -- but a local expert will be able to pronounce on such matters with more authority.

The local expert is probally not indepent as he has a commission to earn.
I would say the area near to Pilar is an excellent investment oportunity. Houses can still be bought for around 50k and prices can´t go down because the ground and your home probally cost as much.
It´s a matter of time untill it will be conected to zona norte and either way it´s very close to the Pan Americana.
You can´t rent it easy but you also have low fixed costs.

Back