Freeze Dried Food

tomdesigns

Registered
Planning some extended back packing in the wilderness and trying to locate some freeze dried food but can not seem to find a place to buy it even in my internet searches. Any ideas or links would be appriciated.

None here in Bariloche, I've never found any in Argentina. I stock up on Maggi 3 minute noodle every time I'm in Chile.

jez said:
None here in Bariloche, I've never found any in Argentina. I stock up on Maggi 3 minute noodle every time I'm in Chile.

Beef Jerkey? :confused:

I have backpacked extensively for weeks at a time never using freeze dried food. A couple things that are great and easily available with Argentine ingredients:

Quinoa: As much protein than chicken, 1/3 cup dry makes a serving per person. A little olive oil, some knorr vegetable soup mix and pine nuts or walnuts. Saute the quinoa and nuts first, then add the soup mix and water to cover 2x, first then simmer. Better than freeze dried, just as light and way cheaper.

Pasta with salame: bring some pasta, cook, toss in some olive oil, red pepper flakes and parmesan, and some of your favorite salame. Maybe some sun dried tomatoes also for variety.

The other knorr packaged soups in the grocery store are also very good and light. Add some pasta in for a full meal, or make as a first course.

Lunch is cheese, crackers and, ugg.. more salame.

Hope this helps.

the problem with the knorr flavor cubes are that they're packed with MSG. Some people are fine with it, but... it's really not good for you (and many get adverse side effects from eating it). You can always substitute with salt, garlic powder, onion powder and some other spices and get some flavor that way. Hard cheeses, dried tomatoes and red pepper flakes are great suggestions.

Not to contradict MizzMarr, but I feel like I saw beef jerky in Chinatown recently.

NO!!!

It was in Flores! K-Town in the house! Kimchi representin'! And it wasn't DOG!

I bought like a quarter kilo bag or something and ate it in about two days.

Kim Jung Il to the rescue!!

Napoleon said:
... It was in Flores! K-Town in the house! Kimchi representin'! And it wasn't DOG!
Watza wrong with dogs?

The emperor gave me an idea - bring a couple of dogs with you - and a sharp knife :D

MizzMarr said:
the problem with the knorr flavor cubes are that they're packed with MSG. Some people are fine with it, but... it's really not good for you (and many get adverse side effects from eating it). You can always substitute with salt, garlic powder, onion powder and some other spices and get some flavor that way. Hard cheeses, dried tomatoes and red pepper flakes are great suggestions.

Science isn't really sure either way about MSG (source: wikipedia, monosodium glutamate) but that's no comfort to you if you want to avoid synthesised ingredients or suffer from adverse side effects as many people do. MizzMarr's suggestions are great and you'll fnd most of those ingredients in my kitchen - including home dried-and-salted red pepper from those moments when there is a glut and the street sellers are offering them cheap.

But my cupboard also includes lots of Knorr stock cubes. Choclo and Zapallo are my staples but I also like Albahaca y Ajo and Panceta y Cebolla and their compact shape and size make them ideal to stuff inside a rucsac as I imagine Tomdesigns plans to do.

elhombresinnombre said:
Science isn't really sure either way about MSG (source: wikipedia, monosodium glutamate) but that's no comfort to you if you want to avoid synthesised ingredients or suffer from adverse side effects as many people do. MizzMarr's suggestions are great and you'll fnd most of those ingredients in my kitchen - including home dried-and-salted red pepper from those moments when there is a glut and the street sellers are offering them cheap.

But my cupboard also includes lots of Knorr stock cubes. Choclo and Zapallo are my staples but I also like Albahaca y Ajo and Panceta y Cebolla and their compact shape and size make them ideal to stuff inside a rucsac as I imagine Tomdesigns plans to do.

Too true. I don't personally have much of a reaction with MSG (unless I eat too much--how much is too much? I only know when some of the taste buds on my tongue "pop" and I feel a little physically weird. It's nowhere near as bad an effect as aspartame, which I have taken to avoiding entirely) but my partner has pretty terrible physical side effects to even small amounts in food so I'm extra sensitive to ingredient lists on his behalf. They are certainly good in a pinch, and are ideally suited to spartan food prep. I just wish they sold more natural stock/boullion here. Ah well, add it to the list! ;)

Nap! Great tip, it's been awhile since I've been to K-town!

Back