friend, oh will you buy this???

Um, I would have seen this one coming in any country. Has nothing to do with being Argentinian. No offense.

almgia said:
also, my girlfriend met a guy whilst on her way to work and they swapped numbers but once she told him she had a boyfriend, a potential friendship faded immediately.

mhenna11 said:
Is this okay, I am not sure if this is cultural or economical or both, please help me understand, I meet really nice people but lately I have been less open, which isn't normal for me. In BA, a new prospect friend, will invite me somewhere, get my email, be real nice with me, have one or two good conversation, and out of nowhere, they will try and sell me something. I was okay with it in the beginning but I dislike being coerced into buying something I don't want to buy more than once. I will be asked repeatedly, in all different ways, and when I don't buy their products or show interest, they lose interest in developing a friendship with me, I stop hearing from them completely. I know it's about earning pesos, it's tough right now, I understand this, because I am going through it myself, but I am not going to lie and try and manipulate a new person to get money. NYC is, (well use to be) for small businesses, everyone our neighborhood, and community, always helped each other out, in whatever art, or creative projects we were working on; in caring way, respectful way, we all sold something, whether it was food, tea, art, clothes, music, we all had something to sell. We never made a lot of money but enough to make the rent. Here, it feels a little ruthless to me, and shallow. Am I overreacting? Argentinians are upfront, why not say in the beginning, "look I sell this product, do you want it, no, okay, have a nice day." the end. What do you think?

Yes! I've met a lot of people who sell things, but they've never tried to coerce me into buying anything. But to be honest, they're people who I have connections to, not people I'm just starting a friendship with.

While they say that there is no obligation to buy, it's difficult to say no when they start pulling out all their inventory to show; "No no no no, just take a look, you don't have to buy anything!"

As to what they're selling, a lot of them are multi-level marketing companies like Avon or Essen ollas. They'll show you their catalog and you can order there. Some sell clothes or purses, too. Of course there is a lot of advertising on facebook. Usually if someone is selling something, they'll post a picture of it and tag all their friends. I've seen this with "homemade" earrings, clothes, and even baked goods.

mhenna11 said:
Am I overreacting? Argentinians are upfront, why not say in the beginning, "look I sell this product, do you want it, no, okay, have a nice day." the end. What do you think?
Happens all over the world - agressive sales techniques.
Like e.g. Jehova's witnesses or telemarketing.

Find your friends in a hobby/interest based club, a porteño group practicing English, a gym or the like. My experience: some 80 argentino friends and acquantainces with (different) common interests. None of them have tried to make me buy stuff I and a year ago one of my local friends helped me get a new home on very favorable conditions through a friend of his.

Hi Guys, thank you for your help, I think I was overreacting and being oversensitive, and yes I have met some great people here.I miss NY, I miss my friends , and family. To answer someone's question, people try to sell me everything, from food, classes, massages, one very nice person, tried to get me start a business with him, and after I said, many times, I am not interested, he continues to cross my boundaries. I have to learn to be straight forward, I am doing my relationships here to passively, and it's may be because I am not fluent in Spanish yet and who I am choosing to be friends with. But it's hard, people can be pushy and not respect your space if you are too passive. So I have learned something today after reading all of your suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Like they say You wanna lose your best friend.. Just lend them money... so true

Hello
Iam a local but my advice is when you meet someone take a time before trusting them everything, don`t mix friendship with money matters they have nothing to do and a good friend will never get you into things like lending money neither take advantage of your friendship, those are not friends and you are lucky if you get rid of them. It takes time but you will meet for sure someone far better than these ones! This is a big city but there are many honest people out there who would like to know you, don`t be dissapointed!
Reina

Back