from london to buenos aires

I live in Las Canitas and it's not that cheap and I don't even rent. If you are on a budget i would suggest palermo soho. It's very close to las canitas, like 5 minutes away, and it's a lot cheaper.

As far as jobs are concerned please note that the average monthly salary in argentina for an argentinian worker is around 1800-2000 pesos.

Good luck with your move and I hope you have a great time in Argentina. :)

AlexfromLA said:
I live in Las Canitas and it's not that cheap and I don't even rent. If you are on a budget i would suggest palermo soho. It's very close to las canitas, like 5 minutes away, and it's a lot cheaper.

As far as jobs are concerned please note that the average monthly salary in argentina for an argentinian worker is around 1800-2000 pesos.

Good luck with your move and I hope you have a great time in Argentina. :)

I don't have the stats on my hand, but being argentinian and knowing a little bit of this country, i can say that 1800-2000 pesos is the lowest most people can accept for a full-time job. We are talking about people with a minimum education of course.

And even for the "non-educated", those that are syndicalized make much more money than that.
Factory workers, bus drivers, etc, etc.. make around 4000 pesos easily.
At least in Rosario, a bus driver makes around 5000 pesos.

The biggest "losers" are those in retail and some people in other "administrative" jobs where the unions don't exist or are greatly corrupted.

TI people is not unionized (new professions are usually easily controlled) but there is so much demand that they are well paid for the most part.
A TI professional with at least 1-year of experience in web programming or design can expect at least 3000 pesos a month.

And I would consider THAT an average. Since a lot of people in several areas make 6000-8000 pesos easily... and I'm not even talking about high-rank positions.

Yes, the majority of people is poor and not making that money, BUT to say THAT to an educated expat, that should be able to learn spanish and probably with some level of "people" skills... is not accurate.

I worked with a guy from belgium, he was barely OK at web programming, could not communicate well, typical northern-europe "cold" type of guy... and even so, he managed to get paid around 4500 pesos a month.
Yes TI is a different story, but still... bus drivers: 5000 pesos.

billsfan said:
bus drivers: 5000 pesos.

You think a foreigner will get a prized job driving a bus or any other unionized job? Doubtful.

I didn't go back and look at the original post, so I'm not sure about the language skills, but what about the visa situation? Takes a little time to get that done, and until you are legal you have little chance of making much more than $2000 pesos a month, if that, working in the black, IT or not.

Also, I work in the IT field and have employed Argentine programmers. In the last year the job market has tightened up a bit - it's not going to be easy (I didn't say it would be impossible) for a foreigner to find a good job even in that field.

My brother-in-law makes 90 pesos a day right now working construction, but he may leave that to work longer hours (7 am to 8 pm 6 days a week) at a verduleria for 120 pesos a day (close to $3000 a month). He's legal (from Paraguay) and it's taken him a year to get to that level.

I don't know about teaching jobs (teaching English for example), but from what I've seen posted here they are not particularly high paying jobs.

I was not implying any job for an expat or for the OP in particular.
My post was intended to clarify (or better yet, to help us all figure out) the AVERAGE salary in Argentina.
Also, I've only mentioned graduated or unionized people as an example of why I don't think 1800 is AVERAGE.

ElQueso said:
You think a foreigner will get a prized job driving a bus or any other unionized job? Doubtful.

Dude, that was an example of unionized jobs raising the bar.

billsfan said:
Dude, that was an example of unionized jobs raising the bar.

Well, I understand now that you explained that, but it appeared that you were telling the OP not to worry that he could surely find a job better than the claimed average of 1800-2000 pesos a month.

Unions indeed have raised the bar - beyond what the skill of the job requires, let's say, which is an artificial bar, and which unfortunately doesn't really translate out to anything besides what the union itself "gets" for its members. I.e., it doesn't help one whit for the overall population of workers.

Unfortunately, here in Argentina, not everyone (not even a very large percentage) of people can work for a union. In fact, as I understand it, you have to know someone to get into a job like that.

Non-union, non-skilled jobs, for the most part, are relatively low-paying.

Did you know, for example, that a lavacopa often makes between 600 and 1000 pesos a month? Yes, we're talking unskilled labor, because that is mostly what foreigners with no education or foreigners who are new here and don't have connections or a legal status can find as far as jobs go.

There are many more unskilled workers in Argentina than skilled and/or unionized workers.

Or at least workers working unskilled jobs - I have a friend who employed a maid about 4 years ago. She was a tremendous worker and he began to use her in other ways to take care of some of his business interests. Turns out she was an accountant who after the crash in 2002 started working as a maid because she no longer had a job. She found she could actually make more money cleaning houses than she could as an accountant and never tried to go back. Of course, my friend pays her much better than most any company here would pay an accountant.

My brother-in-law started out at a different verduleria almost two years ago making 1100 pesos before her was legal. He lived with three other guys in a small "hotel" room meant for one person in order to "afford" it.

Higher average salaries are not plentiful enough here to bring the overall average up very much, I don't think.

ElQueso said:
Well, I understand now that you explained that, but it appeared that you were telling the OP not to worry that he could surely find a job better than the claimed average of 1800-2000 pesos a month.

Yes, I understand it can be hard for a foreigner to find a decent job. I mentioned one example of the contrary, but still, I can accept it's not easy.
But averages are tricky. Actually, any statistics can be deceiving if not reviewed thoroughly.

ElQueso said:
Unions indeed have raised the bar - beyond what the skill of the job requires, let's say, which is an artificial bar, and which unfortunately doesn't really translate out to anything besides what the union itself "gets" for its members. I.e., it doesn't help one whit for the overall population of workers.

I don't want to get into a unions argument, because is OT.
I agree that unions will fight for more money for a job that may be overpaid compared to other jobs, but that's not the unions' fault. People just should be aware of the purpose of fighting for what you want for you and your family.
All the other stuff you want to blame on unions (corruption, bureaucracy, etc) are not the original purpose.

ElQueso said:
Unfortunately, here in Argentina, not everyone (not even a very large percentage) of people can work for a union. In fact, as I understand it, you have to know someone to get into a job like that.

Actually, unions have lost lots of power compared to decades ago. Now you are not automatically added to a union when you enter a certain job. It's the workers' choice.
And I don't understand what does "working FOR a union" means. Maybe there are differences between argentina and wherever you are from, but working a TYPE of job does not mean you are working FOR the union. Unions are non-profit here.

ElQueso said:
Non-union, non-skilled jobs, for the most part, are relatively low-paying.

Agreed.

billsfan said:
And I don't understand what does "working FOR a union" means. Maybe there are differences between argentina and wherever you are from, but working a TYPE of job does not mean you are working FOR the union. Unions are non-profit here.

Bad choice of words, "working for." I should have said "belong to."

And I won't argue unions either - we are obviously diametrically opposed on that viewpont and it won't do any good to argue it.

Except to say that there ARE people who actually work for the unions in administration, enforcement of contracts, lobbying, etc. If you think these guys don't profit like crazy from their positions...well, never mind.

Also, as I understand it here, if someone belongs to a union, the company the person works for is who actually pays the union dues...another example of unfair practices targeted at businesses.

Oh yeah - and if you think that people who work in jobs that are unionized (i.e., a union exists for that job) REALLY have a choice as to whether or not to join...well...never mind.

ElQueso said:
Also, as I understand it here, if someone belongs to a union, the company the person works for is who actually pays the union dues...another example of unfair practices targeted at businesses.

Not true. Union is a pct deducted from the paycheck.
And the default is not to. The worker must proactively ask for that.
What is SHARED between the employer and the goverment is social security. Maybe that's what you meant.

ElQueso said:
Oh yeah - and if you think that people who work in jobs that are unionized (i.e., a union exists for that job) REALLY have a choice as to whether or not to join...well...never mind.

Not all unions are corrupt and corner workers to enter the union.

billsfan said:
Not true. Union is a pct deducted from the paycheck.
And the default is not to. The worker must proactively ask for that.
What is SHARED between the employer and the goverment is social security.

I could be wrong about that, for sure. It was something a friend of mine told me, but I wasn't sure of whether it was a legal thing, or a perceived thing.

However, having actually employed Argentinos here (in non-union jobs) what I know for sure is that when an Argentino discusses salary, what he is talking about is what he will actually take home, not what is his actual salary. It is up to the business then to calculate what the actual salary is that gets reported, then pay/withhold, what-have-you, the amounts for taxes, social security, union fees, et al. and make it so that the amount agreed upon between employee and business finds its way to the employee's hand.

As I remember, the company is responsible for paying roughly 40% in taxes for employee salaries (above what the employee is obstensibly responsible for), including social security and income taxes, among other things. that's on top of what the employee supposedly pays.

The employee, if I remember correctly, is responsible for roughly 19%.

The amounts might have changed in the last two years since I have employed anyone directly or I may not be remembering exactly. We changed to paying monotributos only last year.

Of course, you will not get an employee to agree to 3000 pesos a month and then accept that the company is going to actually only pay him 2430 when it comes time to write the check, hand out the cash, whatever. That 2430 represents the salary minus that 19% I mentioned (which again, may not be the exact number, but is close enough to illustrate the point I'm making).

BTW - that 19% does not include whatever percentage the employee has to pay to the union.

My point being that the guy is going to expect 3000 pesos, and it is up to the business to know that it will have to calculate that he has to pay 19% of taxes, soc. sec, health benefits, etc so instead of 3000 pesos he has to calculate that the actually salary of the employee is actually more like 3704.

And of course, now the business also has to add whatever percentage it is for the union to that total (let's say it's 5%, I don't actually know), which brings the guy's actual salary to roughly 3948 to pay the employee 3000.

Now, the business of course has to pay 40% (give or take) of 3948, not of 3000. A difference of about 379 pesos the employer has to pay additionaly because the REAL salary is not 3000 but rather 3948. Also, the employer's real cost to pay that employee 3000 is actually around 5500 (3948 + 1512 [40% of 3948]) with all taxes included that the employer pays. That is just straight payroll burden.

To the way many of us are used to thinking, that means that in reality the company is paying all taxes and fees. If the employee was paying it, he would accept that his salary was 3000 pesos and would take the money out of his salary himself to pay what he owed, just like his rent, utilities, etc. The difference? If the employee were actually paying his taxes and fees at 3000 pesos, then the emploer's cost at a salary of 3000 pesos would be 4200 pesos.

In this case, it's a matter of perception. However, one drawback to this is that even if you say that the employee really is paying the taxes and fees, and really knows that his salary is more than 3000, he doesn't care. When the union, for example, raises the rates, the business is now responsible for making sure that they raise the salary enough to accomodate that new percentage so the employee's salary stays at 3000.

The key element here is that the employee is not feeling the pain, and therefore not arguing with the union about the increase in fees (if such were to happen). Or saying "I'm not going to pay any more because I don't like something you're doing." It is the company that feels the pain. Since unions and employees are "in union" against the company, that leaves the company with little to no recourse.

If the company can't afford the increase, they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Now, in order to lay the employee off who won't accept a decrease in pay for example, the business has to pay a severance to let him go, which may be more expensive int he short or medium term than it was to raise his salary.

That's not even taking into account the union (the above about severance is just the law of the land), which probably won't let the business lay off the employee to begin with, unless he pays two times the severance. Even then it may not be a possibility.

I'm thinking, for example, what happened to Ford a couple of years ago when they were having problems and wanted to lay off some workers here but the union wouldn't let them. I didn't actually follow that to the end, so I don't know how that ended.

billsfan said:
Not all unions are corrupt and corner workers to enter the union.

Well, that's where our opinions really differ. If there really is a union out there that is there only to do good for its members, I'd love to know which one. :)

Back