From London To Mar Del Plata!

xcutezix

Registered
Hi guys, I am an English girl born in London. I have never moved away from home but in March will be moving to live with my Argentine fiance in Mar del Plata. I'm very nervous as i don't yet know what i'm going to do financially when I get there and am also looking to continue my studies in Spanish. Are there any expats living that way?

Amy xx

Hi guys, I am an English girl born in London. I have never moved away from home but in March will be moving to live with my Argentine fiance in Mar del Plata. I'm very nervous as i don't yet know what i'm going to do financially when I get there and am also looking to continue my studies in Spanish. Are there any expats living that way?

Amy xx

Welcome amy hope you the best in Mar Del Plata, i think there were expats in Mar del Plata but they are not so active in this forum, as is more used by expats in Buenos Aires

Hi there!
I've been to Mar Del quite a few times in the past 2 years.
There isn't much in the way of jobs there, compared to BsAs.

The beaches in the south a much better than those in the centre plus there is a great street called Alem, I think, where there are lots of bars.

Have you been before?

Mar del Plata? nearest UK comparison is a combination of possibly Brighton Hastings and Eastbourne but larger.. Because of the distances there are fewer "day trippers" more weekend/week long visitors and high proportions of elderly many on limted pensions living there for long periods of the year

During the season it is Buenos Aires by the sea - very busy and energetic

Outside of the holiday season (if you are a city/town girl) it is - in a word - dead unless you have got yourself organised jobwise and socially and you will have a big incentive to improve your Spanish. If you are well into sports then Mar del Plata has stuff like the sea but be prepared for English type rain and a cold sea.

Sorry for the downer but now you know - also the trains back to BsAs are finally giving up the ghost and closing down but the long distance Pullman coaches are okish if no car available

On the other hand there are quieter places even than Mar del Plata out of season if you go out anyway into the sticks

Take the advice and make a visit first - April onwards gives a rounded perspective I'd say

I would say the beach in Hastings and Brighton are a slightly better quality than those in the centre of Mardel. I would head down to those near the light house. There are less 'lobo marinos' there.

I would say the beach in Hastings and Brighton are a slightly better quality than those in the centre of Mardel. I would head down to those near the light house. There are less 'lobo marinos' there.

It is rumoured that in high season you can actually find some sand on the beach at Mardel

http://akworld.net/BAweekly/?p=317

Might just be a rumour

But no chance in Brighton just pebbles and also more tons of lard

ps still having irritating trouble loading photos :mad:

Back