B.A. Supermarkets More Expensive Than London, Madrid or NY...!!!

Most expats don't live abroad and can shop in different places.

If your happy with a hippie lifestyle with a shared app, not buying any electronics, gadgets or clothes, cooking together, taking public transport, live without health-care(if not provide by your employee) and very few nights out, or one beer night out or 'free' stuff like parties at homes(where you buy one beer and drink 3) or CS-meetings you still live pretty cheap.

I guess nowadays this is how most expats live.

If you want a (upper) middle class lifestyle it's better to move elsewhere because it will be more expensive here

If your happy with a hippie lifestyle with a shared app, not buying any electronics, gadgets or clothes, cooking together, taking public transport, live without health-care(if not provide by your employee) and very few nights out, or one beer night out or 'free' stuff like parties at homes(where you buy one beer and drink 3) or CS-meetings you still live pretty cheap.

If you want a (upper) middle class lifestyle it's better to move elsewhere because it will be more expensive here

I don't really think thats how most expats here live. Maybe the gap year kids and the study abroaders.

I don't really think thats how most expats here live. Maybe the gap year kids and the study abroaders.

The people I know are around 30-35 and most of them have either a steady GF/wife or share an app/rent a room. The ones who earn dollars abroad(most) do fly back on average 1 time a year and the one who earn there money here every 3,4 years. But they do have this lifestyle mostly

Well, depends.
Something alike Gruyere Cheese cost 115 pesos per kilo at the Disco at Talcahuano y Santa Fe but 40 pesos at Estacion Lomas de Zamora. The Central Market is also unexpensible. The problem is that people wants to pay Lomas de Zamora´s prices at Recoleta.

I'm not on a gap year nor studying here and that is how I live, although I do have my own health insurance which is my biggest expense.

I sublet rooms to cover my rent, I eat out with friends once a month and cook at home the rest of the nights, always big pasta dishes, pies or stews that can be made and reserved to save money, As friends we cook together for 6-12 people twice a week. I never buy clothes or electronics (at least not in AR). I wince when I have to pay for a beer in a bar, I prefer to drink at home.
Between my girlfriend and I we live on about 12k pesos a month. We have no savings and usually just break even each month. Usually a little luxury like a night out on town or a bottle of nice wine or spirit will unbalance the books.

I'd say half of my friends (foreign/Arge mix) live a middle-upper class Argentine lifestyle, but not a single one of them is doing it with their own money. The rest of us live as described above. We are all young professionals.

Isn't the definition of an expat someone who lives abroad?

Perhaps your guess is as good as mine, but it's my guess the Bohemian days for "most expats" in BA are over and most of those who are still here have the income to live a much better life than the one you described (at least I hope they do). Nonetheless, the life you describe is certainly possible and some (younger) expats may still find it desirable.

When you consider the cost of renting or buying an apartment and paying for utilities, and insurance in London, Paris, Rome or any other European capitol, BA may still look like a bargain. Also, it's much easier to be a year round expat in Argentina than Europe or most (if not all of) the most popular expat destinations (where immigration laws are actually enforced and breaking them can have serious consequences).

Regarding the original post: Yes, the prices of some of the groceries in the USA and London are significantly lower than in Argentina, the selection and quality is so much better: just look at the price and quality of something like canned tuna and I've never found canned crab or salmon. If I didn't like cooking from scratch and preferred prepared foods or eating in restaurants, I probably would not be an expat in Argentina.

Between my girlfriend and I we live on about 12k pesos a month. We have no savings and usually just break even each month. Usually a little luxury like a night out on town or a bottle of nice wine or spirit will unbalance the books.
We are all young professionals.

Ditto.

I don't agree that BA supermarket is more expensive than NY. Thats total bollocks.

Well, depends.
Something alike Gruyere Cheese cost 115 pesos per kilo at the Disco at Talcahuano y Santa Fe but 40 pesos at Estacion Lomas de Zamora. The Central Market is also unexpensible. The problem is that people wants to pay Lomas de Zamora´s prices at Recoleta.

You remind me of the Fat Butcher Samid, suggesting we all shop at Mercado Central, plus what CFK saying "Camine Señora" look for prices,,, :confused: . We live in Recoleta and shop here, the prices elsewhere in Argentina are irrelevant. :angry:

Guess all NY residents should cross the Hudson and go shopping in the New Jersey Farmers Markets....? :D

PD: Will we get into a discussion similar to the thread Crime in Detroit versus Recoleta...!! :eek:

Back