Full Moon And Friday The 13Th

GMXam

Registered
What cultures of fellow expats view a full moon and Friday the 13th happening on the same day as good luck/bad luck? My extended family from Guam and Mexico are both pretty superstitious. I can see my mom's look of trepidation now...imagining telling her about this rare occurrence.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/tomorrows-friday-the-13th-full-moon-is-so-rare-it-wont-happen-again-until-2049/29411/

Mmmm, well, as a former (strictly amateur) thespian, I'm generally inclined to be superstitious as hell. I still won't even say the name of Shakespeare's "Scottish Play", let alone go to actually see a production thereof. (side note, there was a story in the local paper a few weeks back about an upcoming production of The Scottish Play, with a woman in the title role, interestingly enough).

So you'd think I'd be spooky about Friday the 13th. But, oddly enough, one of the best days of my life was a long-ago Friday the 13th, so I don't worry too much. Hmm, maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket; can foreigners claim the jackpot if they win?

And the full moon thing doesn't matter to me, though I'm certainly aware of the odd effects on human behavior. I drove a cab for long enough to see that in action.

Hmm, maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket; can foreigners claim the jackpot if they win?

And the full moon thing doesn't matter to me, though I'm certainly aware of the odd effects on human behavior. I drove a cab for long enough to see that in action.

I'll collect for you...for a fee.

Taxi driver, too? Any hopes of taxista-ing it here?

What cultures of fellow expats view a full moon and Friday the 13th happening on the same day as good luck/bad luck? My extended family from Guam and Mexico are both pretty superstitious. I can see my mom's look of trepidation now...imagining telling her about this rare occurrence.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/tomorrows-friday-the-13th-full-moon-is-so-rare-it-wont-happen-again-until-2049/29411/

For Spanish speakers, Friday the 13th is meaningless - all the slasher flicks had to be retitled "Martes 13."

For Spanish speakers, Friday the 13th is meaningless - all the slasher flicks had to be retitled "Martes 13."

Interesting, Tuesday...3rd day of the week on the English calendar, but second day of the week when I've checked the calendars here. Must be historical events on Tuesdays that spurred that one. Origins of superstition are intriguing. Almost Pavlovian.

The entire saying about Tuesday the 13th in Spanish goes like this: "En Martes y 13, ni te cases ni te embarques, ni de tu casa de apartes".

The entire saying about Tuesday the 13th in Spanish goes like this: "En Martes y 13, ni te cases ni te embarques, ni de tu casa de apartes".

I think there are several variants on this, but I can't recall any at the moment.

Sounds like the Italian "Nè di venere nè di marte ci si sposa nè si parte" (On Fridays and Tuesdays, don't get married and don't leave).
Anyway in Italy is Friday the 17th the bad luck day.

Btw, the 13th as bad luck was something strictly Anglo-saxon, to my knowledge. I'd be surprised to read this is valid in the Latin culture, as well. Perhaps you switched numbers?

Among Greeks, it's Tuesday the 13th, allegedly due to the fall of Constantinople on Tues 13 March 1453.

Back