Fun Betting Pool: When will the next crisis hit Argentina?

fifs and marksoc. Why not use this as a teaching moment to hi-light why it would be more disastrous than the quickly boiling frog policies you have now? I'm not being glib I'm quite serious.

I'm an expat and I have the ultimate luxury of escape, most Argentines don't. So tell me in human terms if you've got so much skin in the game why isn't 28/4/11 your answer?[/quote]

Barnaby, Im an expat too but I dont understand your question - Im all for frying frogs (egs) but the rest needs moe simplified English please:eek:

Jaredw, what's the no shooting-your-own-head option according to you for the upcoming elections?

Also: was there any such option in the last -say- 30 years? I hope it's not a "anyone but..." kind of answer, but actual names.

I really don't mean to be ironic.

Cause if the answer is no, it's better to live for the moment in Argentina, because there's no tomorrow. Or head for Ezeiza.

Conrado said:
Jaredw, what's the no shooting-your-own-head option according to you for the upcoming elections?

Also: was there any such option in the last -say- 30 years? I hope it's not a "anyone but..." kind of answer, but actual names.

I really don't mean to be ironic.

Cause if the answer is no, it's better to live for the moment in Argentina, because there's no tomorrow. Or head for Ezeiza.

Macri would be a good start though I don't think he is running. And sorry, but yes, ANYONE except CFK or anyone affiliated with Moyano or any Peronist or Radical would be a good start.

About the last 30 years...again, it falls squarely on the shoulders of the Argentina people for not demanding something different.

Well luckily for me and most on the forum, when the next crisis happens (Mar 2012) if I choose to, I can easily leave. It's not me I'm worried about.

"Anyone affiliated with Peronist or Radical" puts also Macri out of the map, because he's been or is trying to affiliate with politicians from those two parties (Duhalde, De Narvaez, Alfonsín, Cobos).

It's Ezeiza then.

I have a nightmare: the Ks win on elections, they get majority on both houses again and hell breaks loose. Jaredwb head explodes.

<shivers>

Guillo said:
I have a nightmare: the Ks win on elections, they get majority on both houses again and hell breaks loose. Jaredwb head explodes.

<shivers>

Exactly! :):)

Ok, options:

1) Devaluation: It has been done in the past, but the political price to pay is high. It does not affect so much the majority of the population, since most of us do not buy IPads, but it means less of a lot of other things to buy, and a dolarization of the economy (nobody is going to lower the price of his house in USD).

2) Prices control: It has been done before, and for some products it really works (bread, milk, that kind). Problem is that I do not believe that direct control policies can work in the long run, better to use indirect ones, meaning -->

3) Increase of competition: we know who are those that create inflation, they are in charge of companies in oligopoly positions, in certain markets such as basic food items and others, and they do it not only for short term gains, also for long-term gains through political influence. Clarin is an example (controls media, paper, cable and other things). We need a really good law against monopolies and oligopolies and we need to implement it.

4) Increase of productivity: we have the educated population, we have how to feed them, we need to beat Europe in their own game. We can do culture, high tech, services, cheaper and better. We need to invest lots in public education, especially technical. Anyway, the First World tends to turn protectionist when the tide is against it.

5) My "utopian" solution: More cooperatives instead of capitalist companies: this would increase competition and decrease prices in two ways, said competition (since coops are smaller than its capiatlist cunterpart and there would be more space in a market for more of them) and less costs since the parasitic element is not there anymore (the owner, less control mechanisms such as middle managers are needed, etc, it is called the "X cost" in cooperative studies). The way to do this is a social bank (also a coop) that invest in probably profitable coop ventures. Once the initial investment by the government is done, the wheel will move alone.

5) Or simply demand will decrease and then we will face depression (with less inflation or even delfation) or stagflation.

By the way, some things that people complain about are not real local problems. The price of a cup of coffe in Thailand in a local, not on the street (a cheap country for almost anything else) is almost the same than in Argentina AND in Spain, (and even in a lot of coffe shops in PARIS). Something similar happens with fuel, depending on subsidies etc, so it is not an Argentinian problem, but a global thing. Even when you find a coffe in Thailand for 1/2 the price than in PARIS,this is still very expensive, since food or some services cost 4 to 8 times less in Thailand.

I think the problem related to making predictions about when the next crisis may arrive is that this is coming largely from expats who probably have more money and financial cushion than most Argentenians. Thus, there is a sanctimonious air to it as if to say, "you poor souls will have to pick up the pieces, but I will basically be fine." After all, we had the luxury of choosing to move or expat ourselves here to Argentina. Most of them don't. The message is often different depending on who the messenger is.
As a gay person, my friends and I can joke around a bit and call each other "girls" or "fags" ,but if a straight person calls me that then well watch out cause I am going to get real "manly" real quick! Lol......Any approaching crisis is serious business; predictions are ok; but I am not sure it is something to really make fun of. Yet, my Argentine friends know that I am the first one to say, "THIS COUNTRY IS A DISASTER", but they also know my intentions are good and that should things get really ugly here or in the world, we will all take care of each other somehow. And that is an important point and distinction to be made. Ultimately, we will ALL be in this together.

I say shame on you! If you absolutely must be miserable rather than humorous about the many tragic realities we all must face sooner or later, kindly save it for your therapist.
It is quite evident that you don't have anyone who is really struggling. Otherwise you wouldn't post this nonsense.

Morgan, don't give into those whack jobs and don't apologize!!
One of the things that make out great people is that they know when to apologise. And Morgan do.

marksoc said:
This thread doesn´t make sense. Everybody knows that the world will end in 2012.

yes, but not until 21 December, 2012. There could still be a winner if the crisis occurs before then.

Back