FYI- Children-residents-travel

Nicole_Ramirez

Registered
Here is a valuable lesson I just learned. If your children become permanent residents they must have their passport and birth certificate for international flights. You have to prove they are your kids and apparently having a passport isn't good enough. What a shame when we went to immigration the day before we left to find out exactly what we need they failed to mention that. Lost a day and a half of our vacation.

in the States you can fly with children without and official permit or a birth certificate?

It happened to me, first trip out of the country with my son who was born here, a few phone calls and some luck, we didn't even miss the flight and were able to leave (with no birth certificate), it never happened at EZE before...luckily we knew the right peole at immigration...phew
Second trip we brought it with and now it's right in the first page of the passport inside a little passport wallet/holder...learned the lesson...

bebero said:
in the States you can fly with children without and official permit or a birth certificate?

American children only need a passport to fly. Our problem was United didn't say a word about it when going through all our paperwork. We found out at immigration who turned us away and waited until the plane was taking off to say they would make an exception if we got it faxed. So we had it faxed for the next day. If United had told us when we checked in we probably would have had time to fix the problem. Oh well.. lesson learned and will never happen again.

You got lucky using a fax. If immigration wants to be "pricky" as they were with us, you will need to produce the apostilled and translated birth cert and the marriage license apostilled and translated [not copies].

Also to note, if you are ever in the situation of just one of the parents travelling internationally with the kids, you will need a notarized authorisation from the other parent for the child to travel.

I didn't know that they only needed a passport, isn't it dangerous? aren't there cases of parents flying out with the child without the other parent permission? or stuff like that?

We very nearly were denied boarding because we didn't have my daughter's original birth certificate. The airline insisted that a passport, DNI and official copy of her birth certificate was insufficient. Fortunately the guy at migraciones took pity on us and let us through.

bebero said:
I didn't know that they only needed a passport, isn't it dangerous? aren't there cases of parents flying out with the child without the other parent permission? or stuff like that?

The passport must be acquired with both parents present and is the official travel document and ID. Sometimes notarized permission is needed (in Argentina definitely and in the US occasionally if suspicions are raised) if the parent is traveling alone with the child.

When I was a child I traveled with my mother alone and she never needed a bunch of extra documents, birth certificates, or permission forms. I suppose as with everything, extra bureaucracy has taken over.

There are probably some rare cases where one of the parents leaves with the child, but often times even in those cases it's with the other parent's consent. They say they're leaving for 2 weeks, and it turns out that they never planned to come back causing an international dispute. :rolleyes:

jp said:
We very nearly were denied boarding because we didn't have my daughter's original birth certificate. The airline insisted that a passport, DNI and official copy of her birth certificate was insufficient. Fortunately the guy at migraciones took pity on us and let us through.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I have never seen my husband so mad ever. He was ready to not even bother coming back. He moved away from Argentina for 13 years because he cannot stand their ways. We moved back because he thought things had gotten better. Now he realizes they probably wanted a bribe.

Back