Notifying the SSA of moving to Argentina

Ciro

Registered
I am planning to move to Argentina. I would like to ask how retirees here have handled notifying ‌ the SSA of their move. I am not entirely sure if I will stay in Argentina for a few months, a year, or several years. I have Medicare Part A and B and intend to keep them, regardless of the length of my stay. Thank you for any advice.

I am planning to move to Argentina. I would like to ask how retirees here have handled notifying ‌ the SSA of their move. I am not entirely sure if I will stay in Argentina for a few months, a year, or several years. I have Medicare Part A and B and intend to keep them, regardless of the length of my stay. Thank you for any advice.
SSA sends out a form every 2 years that you must fill out and return if you want to keep receiving your benefits. You should keep them informed of your current address. There's absolutely no reason to hide your address from them.

If you have moved outside the United States permanently, you should decide whether to keep Medicare Parts A and B. While you can have Medicare while living abroad, it will usually not cover the care you receive. Most people qualify for premium-free Part A, meaning you will pay nothing for coverage. However, keeping Part B may not be worth the cost if you live abroad permanently and do not take frequent trips to the U.S. Medicare does not provide any coverage for medical or hospital services outside the U.S. Therefore, expats in Argentina may need to explore other health coverage options in the country.

SSA sends out a form every 2 years that you must fill out and return if you want to keep receiving your benefits. You should keep them informed of your current address. There's absolutely no reason to hide your address from them.
Since I retired, 5 years ago, never got that form (SSA-7162) here in the US.

The SSA has my address here and has for a few years. I get a letter from them maybe twice a year. So far no issues.
Since I retired, 5 years ago, never got that form (SSA-7162) here in the US.

Back