Gala at Teatro Colon... dress code?

About the same as you dress in NY to go to the Met or LA the Chandler.

TomAtAlki said:
How does one get invited to a gala?

You buy a ticket! The problem is that most seats are sold as subscription tickets for the entire season. The only ones that are available for the Gran Abono (presumably this is what the writer means by "gala") are what is left over after all subscriptions have been sold or tickets that may have been turned in for resale. Each opera production is divided into several categories of performance. The "galas" are the Gran Abono which is the most expensive. It used to be a black tie affair but that is no longer true. Non subscription performances are called "Extraordinarias" and are usually the cheapest and often feature a second tier cast of second rank singers. Last season I paid USD $170 for a seat at one of the subscription (but not Gran Abono) performances so I would guess that a good seat for the Gran Abono would be around $USD 200- $250. I am guessing so check the Teatro Colon website for the operas to see the exact figures.

As I said, there is no dress code at the Teatro Colon any more. I have seen people in jeans. There is no dress code at the Metropolitan Opera either but opening night is traditionally black tie and patrons in the expensive seats usually dress accordingly.

The ordinary season is over. It finished on December 5th. The functions playing now are "extraordinarias", just concerts of the Philarmonic of Buenos Aires, I guess.

By the way, I recently found out that Sundays morning from April to November the Teatro Colon offers concerts for free. The tickets are available from the day before.

Yes, I can't figure out what the writer means by gala and WHEN?
BTW the Teatro Argentino de la Plata does some fine opera performances and I think there may still be one or two performances left this season.

Back