Galloping Inflation 2

Another thing that strikes me is that people are still surprised by the amount of inflation there is. In it's history Argentina (apart from a few menem years) has always known high inflation. I cannot imagine moving to another country without taking things like these in my mind. What did you all expect when you came to the country after the 2001/2002 crisis, that things were going to be cheap forever?

A very good question, Reemster. Even in middle age, I continue to be surprised by the numbers of seemingly normal people who exhibit complete and willful ignorance of history and of human nature.
A little understanding goes a long way in Buenos Aires -- or anywhere else.

"allcraz" said:
cbphoto, I understand the point you are trying to make. But there are 2 groups of expats - those earning and spending pesos and those earning and/or spending a stronger currency. For the former group, the 2 links you provided can't stop any whining, because it's quite obvious that if you're paying $10 for a coffee in Moscow, and you're not a random Argentine vacationing in Russia, that you're most likely earning more than the average Argentine salary. So that group can't compare the BsAs cortado to Moscow's, and I don't think it was trying to do so in the first place. And for the latter group, I think most are aware that BsAs continues to be cheap compared to major destinations in the world, but that won't stop them from noticing inflation. Put the groups together and you will see a common denominator - no one enjoys realizing that they have less purchase power than before.
The first group will leave soon enough

"cbphoto" said:
I didn't single you out stevenbsas... why so defensive?I had mentioned that some on this site come off as very angry, and with prejudice...I would have to look back at some of what you have written to see if you fit this category.. but honestly, can't be bothered. This site is not about you or individuals in general.. my statement was merely directed at those that "twist" the truth... that see things from a very one sided negative perspective.. unwilling to find/listen to both sides... to find a place in the middle.. in hopes of finding real solutions/helping others to come to real conclusions about the state of affairs here...
Making generalizations isn't fair to those individuals who have posted comments about inflation which are"negative" by definition. That doesn't mean they are hateful or prejudiced. If you can't "be bothered" to quote those you criticize, why bother to criticize them ....or post about them in the first place? How have those who made posts about inflation (especially those who have been affected by it the most) "twisted" the truth?
What is this site about if not the individuals who live here or are considering a visit or even moving here to live? Labeling those who post in the negative as hateful, prejudiced, or untruthful without further elaboration creates an inaccurate portrait of them, including me. Perhaps you could at least explain what you mean when you use the term "prejudiced". Where I come from that isn't a nice term, and complaining about inflation doesn't make someone prejudiced.
How can an expat living here do anything about inflation? What are the "two sides" to this issue? Is there a positive one? How could anyone find a "place in the middle" if that is possible? If those who are thinking about living here are are able to "come to real conclusions about the state of affairs here" perhaps they will think twice about it before doing so. The real solution for anyone coming here to live or visit is simple: Bring more money!
I find most of the negative comments about life here to be sincere and generally accurate...often filled with strong emotion, but not based upon hatred or prejudice. I think it's important to make that distinction. I am not just defending myself, I am speaking in defense of all of us who have shared our negative experiences here..with the sincere hope of helping others know what to expect once they arrive.

"steveinbsas" said:
I didn't single you out stevenbsas... why so defensive?
I had mentioned that some on this site come off as very angry, and with prejudice...
I would have to look back at some of what you have written to see if you fit this category.. but honestly, can't be bothered.
This site is not about you or individuals in general.. my statement was merely directed at those that "twist" the truth... that see things from a very one sided negative perspective.. unwilling to find/listen to both sides... to find a place in the middle.. in hopes of finding real solutions/helping others to come to real conclusions about the state of affairs here...

Making generalizations isn't fair to those individuals who have posted comments about inflation which are"negative" by definition. That doesn't mean they are hateful or prejudiced. If you can't "be bothered" to quote those you criticize, why bother to criticize them ....or post in the first place? How have those who made posts about inflation (especially those who have been affected by it the most) "twisted" the truth?

What is this site about if not the individuals who live here or are considering a visit or even moving here to live? Labeling those who post in the negative as hateful, prejudiced, or untruthful without further elaboration creates an inaccurate portrait of them, including me. Perhaps you could at least explain what you mean when you use the term "prejudiced".
How can an expat living here do anything about inflation? What are the "two sides" to this issue? Is there a positive one? How could anyone find a "place in the middle" if that is possible? If those who are thinking about living here are are able to "come to real conclusions about the state of affairs here" perhaps they will think twice about it before doing so. The real solution for anyone coming here to live or visit is simple: Bring more money!

I find most of the negative comments about life here to be sincere and generally accurate...often filled with strong emotion, but not based upon hatred or prejudice. I think it's important to make that distinction.
There is a lot you can do about inflation

"CABJ" said:
Such as? Please elaborate.
Shopping carefully and buying less (for the same amount of money) is not doing anything "about" inflation...it is doing something as a "result" of inflation.What expat or "average" Argentine for that matter has any power to curb the spending by the government?

"steveinbsas" said:

Such as? Please elaborate.

Shopping carefully and buying less (for the same amount of money) is not doing anything "about" inflation...it is doing something as a "result" of inflation.
What expat or "average" Argentine for that matter has any power to curb the spending by the government?
Buying less and not paying overpriced articles does curb inflation
Things to do help curb inflation:
Best advice: Leave
Other advices
1: Go shopping in Catan, Ciudad Evita
2: Eat less
3: Use clothes instead of heating
4: Don´t use your airco
5: Dont buy overpriced products, don´t use overpriced services
6: Stay at home all day
7: buy a bike so you don´t need to go with the bus
8: go walking instead of taking an bus
9: Sell your plasma, pick a TV of the street and try it to work

Quoting "CABJ": ". . . . Things to do help curb inflation:
. . . . 9: Sell your plasma . . . ."
This sounded quite extreme!
Then I read that CABJ referred only to television sets.
Seriously, restrained and careful expenditure can help constrain inflation -- somewhat. Ultimately, though, the power of a modern currency-emitting government is greater than the power of its citizenry; if governmental expenditures exceed governmental receipts, inflation results: and the greater the gap, the greater the inflation. None of us need have read under a Nobel laureate in economics to understand that.

There were some omissions in the list of cost-cutting measures:
10. Sell your Gulfstream 550,
11. Dispose of your yacht,
12. Cut down on your coke snorting.
13. Go easy on the caviar.

One would think most expats would be earning currency from their home country, but living on pesos. IMHO, that is one of the most appealing reasons for living in this crazy country.

Back