Gap / Banana Republic etc now ship to Argentina

TarHeelBluze said:
My parents are planning on sending me a box of things in the next week, including a pair of boots, some t-shirts, some toiletries and a USB key -- all used except for the t-shirts and toiletries. Will I have to pay customs duties on these items? Should I just tell them to hang on to the stuff?

1) They should hang on to them.

2) If they are going to send them, set the value at ~US$25. I don't care what it's worth, set the value at US$25.

3) Send it express. Or close to it. When I would send things with USPS, I would use the "Express Mail International". You might not have a slower option anymore, but my mother sent something standard 1st Class. I told her not to, she did anyway. I asked "WHY?!?!" She said that the person at the post office said that it would arrive in 5-8 business days.

The person at the post office in the States is NOT Argentine. I would assume the same in Britain.

You are asking for your stuff to (A) Get stolen, (B) Take 17 to 21 days, and/or (3) Cost MAJOR MONEY to get it out of Aduana if you send it normal mail.

ADUANA IS FULL OF CROOKS!! Period!!

If you don't get your stuff stolen or held for ransom, you are luckier than a lottery winner.

Ship it express, the stuff is USED, and the value is under US$25. Period.

Lee said:
Why would you want to wear that crap to begin with...

Much less have it shipped 1000's of miles?

I'm picking it up in Florida for a friend of mine so didnt actually look at shipping rates.

Why would you wear it and spend the money to ship it here? Because at the end of the day "that crap" from the USA is still much better quality than most of the stuff you can buy here!

Talking with some girlfriends the other day and maternity clothes (which you only get a few months use out of) at Old Navy, Gap, etc start at about 12 bucks an item (tshirt, skirt etc) -- here the prices are through the roof, cost at least as much as any normal items here if not much much more.

there's been discussion after discussion here about how the quality in Argentina is not very good -- as much as maybe some of the above stores are not necessarily my style, the quality of basic items from GAP, Banana Republic etc is far above the quality of most comparable clothing lines produced here in Argentina.

If you guys get really desperate for a few clothing items, etc, I come to BA about twice a month for work and can bring things for a nominal charge (much much less than shipping from US). Just send me a PM.

Back