Garantia

jkreisler

Registered
Does anybody have any suggestions on renting a place in BSAS without a garantia? I need an unfurnished rental and not having the garantia seems to be a perpetual deal breaker on the long term rentals. I know there are tons of temporado rentals but they are all furnished and I haven't been able to find one that will work. Let me know if anybody has any suggestions. I've heard that there are some agencies that will sell you a garantia, but that you have to be careful with this because often times you end up getting screwed.

With those garantias you will get caught and will waste your money. I suggest you offer paying 6-10 months rent in advance or make a larger deposit ( 10000 pesos or so to replace the garantia ). I fyou have a job and a salary receipt that would be a plus. also if you have references in the city (from previous landlords, etc, you should use that )

Look for apartments rented directly by the owner. Some inmobilarias will consider renting to you without a garantia, but the pickings are slim. Get the Sunday Clarin and call all of the listings that don't specifically ask for a garantia. Call EARLY on Monday morning and clear your schedule so you can go see them. Another thing to try (this worked for my boyfriend's family and a friend) talk to the encargadas of buildings that you would be interested in living in. Explain who you are, tell them you're looking for a place and give them your phone number. The encargadas always know when people are moving out and can give you a heads up.

I second offering a 6-month (or more) deposit. Offer to pay in dollars if possible.

My boyfriend and I just went through this exact situation, so I know how you feel! If I think of any other tips I'll let you know.

jkreisler said:
Does anybody have any suggestions on renting a place in BSAS without a garantia? I need an unfurnished rental and not having the garantia seems to be a perpetual deal breaker on the long term rentals. I know there are tons of temporado rentals but they are all furnished and I haven't been able to find one that will work. Let me know if anybody has any suggestions. I've heard that there are some agencies that will sell you a garantia, but that you have to be careful with this because often times you end up getting screwed.

Who do you work for? Would your employer offer a garantia? I know a hospital that helps its staff find accomodation by offering garantias on their behalf.

We also got our apartment by dealing directly with an owner and offering a 6 month deposit. Our deposit and rent were in pesos because the owner didn't want it in dollars. (We assume since we offered in dollars, but they requested pesos that they were trying to hide the income. Maybe we were wrong (see below))

Since we're working off savings in the US, the exchange rate has been helping us on the monthly rent, but it is going to hurt when that deposit is returned in pesos, as they peso has lost ~20% in value in just the last 9 months alone. Assuming that the exchange rate will continue in the direction that it has been, offering a dollar deposit and monthly rent in pesos is the best for you, while the opposite for the owner...

Back