Gay Couple considering Bs As

I live half a block from Plaza San Martin. I often see gay men or lesbian women sitting together on benches or in the sun on the grass holding hands, kissing, etc. I've seen men walking down the streets holding hands and kissing every once in awhile. I have to admit that I know nothing about the "gay scene" here, but having seen those examples, my assumption has been that the people here are very tolerant.

As far as the (I assume) tongue-in-cheek comment about not dressing up in women's clothes - Argentina seems to me to be quite tolerant of exactly that, and I have seen so many commercials on TV and billboards and the movie theaters showing exactly that. BTW - I understand the difference between gay and cross-dresser - just making a comment related to the previous comment about cross dressing :)

As far as getting money into Argentina - I would not recommend trying to do so through regular means like bank transfers until you've been here for awhile and have managed to get residency. It is very difficult, if not virtually impossible, to open a bank account here unless you have, or are in the process of getting, residency. Even then, there are various things you need to do to get a bank account "habilitado" to accept foreign transfers, which means a lot of bureaucratic red tape. If you are starting a business, that will both help your residency issues and possibly your money transfer issues into a bank account because you will be tied into AFIP and the taxing system, and just need to comply with the regulations required to get money in. But you will also be taxed on money that comes in, I believe (not expert at that).

You can find someone here to introduce you to a casa de cambio where they do gray money transfers for 1-2% of the transaction costs, and get the money in cash (in your local currency or usually with a good conversion rate to pesos - the place I'm doing business with now gives 4.75 to a dollar! Way above the official rate.). It's not always easy to get set up in one of those - I've done business with two different places here in the last 6 years and at both I needed introductions from Argentine friends who have already been doing business. The government here is trying desperately to control the flow of dollars and other reasonably-valued currencies so there have been times when these casas de cambio have failed me depending on how closely AFIP was controlling things.

The easiest way to get money from rental income back in your home country would be to have a bank account there, let the renters deposit there, and take the money out via ATMs, and when you find a casa de cambio with whom you can do business, you can wire the money to them cheaper than extracting from ATMs, in my opinion.

As far as buying your own building/property - it may be that you need to do just that anyway. I don't know if you're familiar with the way leasing works here, but it is extremely difficult to find people who are willing to lease on a long term basis without a guarantee in property to back up the lease. The laws here favor tenants so much that you can move into an apartment and not pay a dime and it could take the owner years to get you out. With a guarantee the property that provides the guarantee could be forfeit, providing a strong incentive to the lessee to pay and take care fo the proeprty.

A friend and I looked into opening up a coffee shop near Suipacha and Marcelo T and the one issue we had was providing a property for guarantee on the lease. We managed to get that together, but moving forward failed for other reasons.

The same reason you may have problems finding a place to lease for your business also holds for finding a place to live. I know a few friends who have managed to find people who are willing to lease to them without a guarantee. Often being a foreigner helps in that regard. There are ways to get around a guarantee sometimes - some people will accept a huge advance payment of a year or the whole lease, for example, in lieu of a guarantee. Leasing in older neighborhoods, but that often also limits the quality fo the place you'd live, etc. But usually, leasing without a guarantee takes time and getting to know people.

I'm about at the end of a two year lease on my apartment, which was guaranteed by a friend who owns property here, and I think I'm going to be able to continue leasing without a guarantee for a new contract (I'm an ideal tenant), but I'm not sure yet, and to tell the truth it worries me because it's so much cheaper to lease on a long-term contract than it is temporary, not to mention the usual issues of moving every so often with short term apartments, because the owners have a block of time in the future already leased out, usually. Also not to mention the amount of furniture and things I've managed to accumulate over the last 4 years since I've been able to lease long term! Technically, according to the laws as I understand it, you can't sign a temporary lease for longer than six months anyway.

There are good things about living here, but beware of the things that can make your life difficult until you figure out how everything works. Being gay, I don't believe, is one of those things :)

ElQueso said:
I live half a block from Plaza San Martin. I often see gay men or lesbian women sitting together on benches or in the sun on the grass holding hands, kissing, etc. I've seen men walking down the streets holding hands and kissing every once in awhile. I have to admit that I know nothing about the "gay scene" here, but having seen those examples, my assumption has been that the people here are very tolerant.

Several years ago, we used to tell taxistas a different intersection than the bar we were going to late at night out of fear. One night, on our way to a club called Glam, we told the cab driver to take us to Gallo and Cabrera, which is a few blocks from the bar itself. The cab driver took us to the front door. Gee, was it that obvious? :)

In my opinion, Buenos Aires is a great city for gay men and women, and the passage of the matrimonio igualitario law made it even better.

bradlyhale said:
Buenos Aires is a great city for gay men and women, and the passage of the matrimonio igualitario law made it even better.
But try to get married or at least get qualified information on the subject.

It's true, people in Buenos Aires simply do not care whether someone is gay or straight -- it seems to be irrelevant which is very refreshing. That said, gay acceptance would be the least of your concerns moving here; there are a lot of other issues you will want to look at carefully.

Being gay in BA is not much different than any big city. There are stupid people here too, but more people are tolerant than stupid. My partner and I have never had any problem in BA. being gay. More problems with being gringos. It was a dream for me to move to BA, but not anymore, reality sets in after four years...sorry. But I wish you all the best.

If you want to run a business there are few places worse to go. BA and Argentina in general is not a business friendly place. I would never run a business involving bricks and mortar. There are so many reasons why I don't know where to start, but I hope you're aware that most credible economists believe Argentina is in for some serious economic trouble.

Look at almost any other LAM country for lower business taxes, stability and much less inflation. BA is a great place to live if you make a foreign currency and a lot of it because it just keeps getting more expensive.

I spend half my time in California and half in BA, in the last few months BA has become the more expensive of the two for most things.

I have a lot of gay friends here and they seem pretty happy, happier than my gay friends back home anyway more options from what I can tell

Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread....even you Arlean.

The answers have given me alot of food for thought. Especially the issue of long term rents and the need for a guarantia. I think it is a matter of taking things slowly and planning everything carefully.

This is a great resource to have.

Cheers!

Gay dating is a pain in the ass in BA. I thought it was just me, but 2 gay friends from the States came last week and complained that it was so hard to actually MEET someone (IE: NOT have a one night stand and never see them again)

I felt a little embarrassed to explain that it´s fairly standard practice in BA to go to a gay club and have 3 guys make out with you at the bar over the course of 1 night, 2 of the 3 tell you that night they love you and want to marry you, and then the next week you dont even know who they are anymore and probably wont see them again, aside for the ackward encounter probably at the same bar.

I understand that this is part of the gay culture in general, however it has been my experience that you can usually find some guys, specifically in some set places of some cities, where the more ¨serious¨ guys go.

I just recently broke up with my long term Argie psychologist partner who I was living with, and have just reentered the ¨scene¨ after not having been out on the town DE AMBIENTE in close to 2 years and have realized how challenging it is. If you want sex, it is easy, VERY easy to find in BA, but if you are indeed looking for something more meaningful, it can be difficult.

On a positive note, I am going out tonight on a 3rd date (quite frankly I am surprised) with an AFIP Tax Audit Banker.

I will be sure to share any inside tips on getting dollars.

Back