Gay Life in BA

xdurham

Registered
I've searched through posts from the last 2-3 months in the forums here and found almost no references to gay life--not in Expat Life, not in Culture, not in Expat Events... There are thousands of gay expats in BA. Why are they invisible here? I don't feel represented. Is there a better expat site for gay men and women? Thanks.

Not that I know of. Generally everyone pretends to be straight on an expats BB. I don't, however this seems to be the rule.

If you know anything please tell me. There are some good clubs and places but as far as groups and organisations, I have no idea.

Hmm... there are plenty of gays here in this forum. But being this is not a gay support/community forum the subject does not come up often, except for the occasional get together. Search the forums for "pink drinks". If you're on Facebook, search for "Gay Expats in Buenos Aires" in the groups section. ;)

I think the same. Although searches come up empty because "gay" is only 3 letters. I don't think the search works for 3 letters or less

cujodu said:
I think the same. Although searches come up empty because "gay" is only 3 letters. I don't think the search works for 3 letters or less

Cujodu is absolutely correct: the forum search engine gives null results for searches using the word, "gay." Can the search function be modified to allow us to use the word in searches? Please advise.

I'm not gay, but I did just get home from drinking a Frozen Mojito at Milíon.

And though Milíon isn't specifically a "gay bar", it definitely had three different gay couples (not together) hanging out in the bar area. I can't say for sure whether or not they were all extranjeros, but I feel certain that the tall-ish thin guy wearing the flowing poncho that would flip it this way and that as he would sashay back and forth when walking to the stairs could probably communicate in any language necessary.

Also, one of my roommates is a lesbian and she goes to Gay Tango on Tuesday nights. I'm not sure if it's purely Dyke-Fest '09 or if guys go as well. If you're male, gay, and want to find a gay specific tango class/milonga, I'll ask her if they let penises in the door.

Napoleon, International Problem Solver

maybe its because porteno life is more liberal and accepting then most places and people can just be themselves and not so hung up on being gay that they need to live separate lives and keep themselves in a closet. if you have topics or issues that you want to bring up, i believe this board doesnt stop you. thats why they call it a forum, a place for its members to bring up topics of interest to themeselves and others. however, smile, judging from how passionate people here can be on simple topics like patagonian land for sale, one always has to be ready to hear all sides! there are any number of gay websites available with listings of where bars, discos are etc. heres one for you ......
http://www.guiag.com/homef.htm
personally, what i do in bed doesnt define who i am the rest of the time..... go out and enjoy all sides of ba!

diego7david said:
maybe its because porteno life is more liberal and accepting then most places and people can just be themselves and not so hung up on being gay that they need to live separate lives and keep themselves in a closet.

Really? You think? I don't know, it's getting better but I'd say the scene is pretty underground. Then again, I'm from Vancouver and lived in the West End before coming here, so to me "three gay couples at the bar" in Milion doesn't really constitute much of a scene, lol!!!

In most areas of town, yes people are tolerant, but the actual bar scene etc is pretty underground considering BA keeps trying to market itself as the Gay Destination of South America. There are some websites, and if you're in the shops in Palermo etc you'll see some mags (I think one is just called Gay in BA) with listings for club nights / bars etc. I guess the same districts that cater to foreigners are also more gay-friendly (San Telmo, Palermo, etc)

Also, I'd say that there's a lot of closeted gays here. Some of my best friends here in fact. I knew one of my friends for almost 2 years before he finally "confessed" that he was gay (as if I hadn't figured it out). His partner is a local and told his family at the age of 36. His family has vowed never to discuss it again and his partner is never allowed to step foot in the house. My friend started an MBA here, it would have been the ideal opportunity to just tell his work group that he's gay, but he has never told them and when they come to his house he makes his partne leave for the day.

Ok, to each his own, and I know I'm more tolerant than a lot coming from Vancouver, but I'd say that there's still a lot of people in BA that would prefer to operate on the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy.

Sorry, can't remember from the original post right now if you were looking for the scene in BA, or if you were just trying to find out from other gay expats how life is here. (Sorry, I've been working 15 hr days for the past week and my brain is a bit zonked so this post seems to be more stream of consciousness than any help... maybe just ignore me... I really need some sleep, lol)...

Back