Gay marriages

SaraSara

Registered
Does anyone know whether they are recognized outside Argentina? If a couple of Americans come here to get married - are they legally married for the US?

I dont think so. I had friends who were a gay couple - one from the UK and the other from Argentina. When they decided to move to the UK they got married at the British Embassy in Buenos Aires because otherwise it wouldnt have been recognised there.

From what I understand, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, each state is in charge of it's own marriage laws. So if gay marriage is legal in massachusetts and a couple gets married there, their marriage would not be recognized if they even moved to another state where gay marriage was not legalized.

So I am going to have to say no on this one.

I think that each country has its own rules for recognizing (or not) gay marriages conducted abroad (for example, Canada does, France does, I think Spain does.) In the U.S., I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they are recognized in New York, Rhode Island, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. However, no gay marriages, whether performed in a U.S. state or abroad, are recognized by the federal gov't, which means no federal benefits and no citizenship-by-marriage rights for the gay foreign spouses of Americans.

I wrote to my sister on this because I was interested in the answer. She and her girlfriend are highly involved in both the issues of gay rights and womans rights in the US and this was what she wrote to me:

The defense of marriage act prevents the federal gov from recognizing a same sex marriage whether it's a marriage licensed by a state or from another country. However if a gay couple moved from Argentina to a state that had same sex marriage they could at least get state level benefits of marriage within that state.

It is great to see Argentina is ahead of many Western countries, especially America in some little ways- but this is probably not so little, only 9 other countries have gay marriage in the world.

Like previously posted by others. Each country has their rules for recognizing them or not. Also, each US state is in charge of it's own marriage laws. However, due to the DoMA those marriages will not be recognized by the US federal gov't so it will not be valid for immigration purposes, since immigration is under the federal jurisdiction, states have no power over immigration issues. Same-sex bi-national couples (when 1 of the individuals is US citizen or legal resident) are in a huge disadvantage because of this.

1st-

The Uniting American Families Act has to pass in order to grant these couples the right to sponsor their partner for immigration purposes. 19 countries already have their own version of this law.......and no, its not always linked to marriage equality law having passed. The UAFA is a light of hope for the estimated 36,000 couples that are forced to leave the USA to stay together.

2nd-

Very recently a Massachuetts judge overturned section 3 of the DoMA as it violates the 10th amendment which states that each state is in charge of it's own marriage laws. For example, there are 20 states that allow first cousin marriages. Yet, all the states who do not perform first cousin marriages must recognize them and they are fully covered under ALL federal beneifts (like spousal immigration). So, the states who do not perform same sex marriages, should still recognize them or at least have all federal benefits.

If all goes well, it will make the federal gov't reconize ALL Massachusett's marriages. This will cause a precedent and could be adopted by the other states who also passed the marriage equality law. This will also grant the right of spousal immigration to s.s. married couples when 1 of the individuals is a US citizen or legal resident.

Back