Gendarmeria in Clarin/Cablevision

The Vila-Manzano Group is the competition of Cablevision in Mendoza. Mendoza is the land of Cobos and is not a province aligned with the national government. Even the Public TV has problems on this province. This has nothing to do with Cristina and everything to do with Manzano, a man that worked for Carlos Saul M***m in the 1990s. A judge aligned with Manzano sent the Gendarmeria to Cablevision.

Cablevision does not even operate in Mendoza...so WHY the court order?

Cable vision is part of the Clarin media group.

Here's a bit of recent history....
Argentina shuts down Internet service provided by the Clarin media group
http://en.mercopress.com/2010/08/20...et-service-provided-by-the-clarin-media-group

This is all part of a planed push by our Government designed to silence & control the remaining independent news media that does not toe the Gov's line.

Here bellow is one of the many new tactics designed to circumvent the constitution;

BBC NEWS: Argentina to tighten controls on newsprint supplies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16213340

Controversial law to control newsprint production in Argentina moves forward
http://knightcenter.utexas.edu/blog...-newsprint-production-argentina-moves-forward

Gov supporters will tell you that it has nothing to do with the the Ks but anyone with a half an IQ can see otherwise...& if you think we're cooking now...wait till Jan!

Gringoboy said:

Gringoboy said:
For Gendarmeria, read Army.
Need I say more?

That's a little overblown. The Genarmeria have ranks and uniforms similar to a military unit, but they are seperate from the Argentinian Army and their missions are distinct. The Gendarmeria are more like Customs & Borders combined with state police in the US. I've never heard Argentinians dysparaging the Gendarmeria, and I've heard quite a few wish they'd replace the provincial police on BA with the Gendarmeria.

The whole thing in Mendoza sounds pretty scetchy, but it appears to me that its judicial corruption and political fighting in which one side entangled the Gendarmeria. They do have some weird jurisdictions down here, so I'm not sure whether or not enforcing court orders in Mendoza is typically within the range of duties of the Gendarmeria, up here in the north they mostly handle law enforcement, traffic control, and smuggling interdiction outside of the major cities but they do have some responsibility for investigating 'economic crimes' too. See http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gendarmería_Nacional_Argentina & http://www.gendarmeria.gov.ar/.

The mess between the Kirchner's and the media moguls fascinates me. Its hard to have sympathy for Clarin considering thier own history of political and economic shenanigans. Not that I'm impressed with the Kirchners. I guess Argentina shows what's even worse than a two-political party system like what the USA has: a single party the completely controls the government.

Judges uses police to enforce the law. Gendarmeria is the border police. So, there is nothing weird about that. Regards

I can agree that it may seem political in nature, but when taking into account all the other actions taken against news media in the last few weeks, it is nothing short of anti-democratic & authoritarian.

It's meant as a warning message to the rest of the news press, if you step out of line, you'll pay. Full stop.

To color it as political is to obscure & cover over the crime, the taking away of our basic civil rights...our rights to hear an apposing point of view, our freedom of expression.

We are now witnessing the beginnings of a new form of dictatorship style.

kurtdillard said:
That's a little overblown. The Genarmeria have ranks and uniforms similar to a military unit, but they are seperate from the Argentinian Army and their missions are distinct. The Gendarmeria are more like Customs & Borders combined with state police in the US. I've never heard Argentinians dysparaging the Gendarmeria, and I've heard quite a few wish they'd replace the provincial police on BA with the Gendarmeria.

The whole thing in Mendoza sounds pretty scetchy, but it appears to me that its judicial corruption and political fighting in which one side entangled the Gendarmeria. They do have some weird jurisdictions down here, so I'm not sure whether or not enforcing court orders in Mendoza is typically within the range of duties of the Gendarmeria, up here in the north they mostly handle law enforcement, traffic control, and smuggling interdiction outside of the major cities but they do have some responsibility for investigating 'economic crimes' too. See http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gendarmería_Nacional_Argentina & http://www.gendarmeria.gov.ar/.

The mess between the Kirchner's and the media moguls fascinates me. Its hard to have sympathy for Clarin considering thier own history of political and economic shenanigans. Not that I'm impressed with the Kirchners. I guess Argentina shows what's even worse than a two-political party system like what the USA has: a single party the completely controls the government.

Clearly this is political. The Clarin Group was never a problem until it opposed the retenciones in 2008. Ever since then, the government has done everything possible to mount a campaign against Clarin Group.

On the other hand, Clarin Group controls a lot of the voices in this country, and that is frightening. I'm not sure which is worse: 1.) a country where media ownership is concentrated into the hands of a few, or 2.) a country whose government tells the media what to report. Both options are quite undemocratic, and presently, it seems, Argentina is going one way or the other.

bradlyhale said:
Clearly this is political. The Clarin Group was never a problem until it opposed the retenciones in 2008. Ever since then, the government has done everything possible to mount a campaign against Clarin Group.

On the other hand, Clarin Group controls a lot of the voices in this country, and that is frightening. I'm not sure which is worse: 1.) a country where media ownership is concentrated into the hands of a few, or 2.) a country whose government tells the media what to report. Both options are quite undemocratic, and presently, it seems, Argentina is going one way or the other.

NO they are not going one way or the other they HAVE been and continue to go both ways.the power in the hands of very few (so what else is new in this world) and the govt has been trying to tell or telling the news what to say since peron was in power..

This time they probably went to far for the situation today but nothing will really happen to anyone for this invasion of cablevision..if it ever gets to trial

Obviously it started from politics,.... you missed the point.

The point I'm making is that good or bad, this is not about Clarin ...it's about the crossing of a line...when a Gov abuses it's power and sends 50 uniformed personnel into a news paper building...and after taking into account all the other incursions such as blocking citizens from buying foreign currencies, new controls on the supply of raw print paper, the prosecution & silencing of independent financial opinion etc etc etc...then you have to be blind or on drugs to miss the obvious...we are now deeper into dictatorship territory.

We all know the Clarin Group are no saints. That's not the issue.

bradlyhale said:

Dear Gentlewomen & men,
Let's not forget that Clarin was a minor stock holder in Goldman Sachs.
Isn't that great for independence of the news?!

Clarin/Cablevision/etc Group is too much a monopoly in my own view (but I'm not Argentinean... at least yet!).

Also Clarin/Cablevision is not too much in favour of the "redistribucion de la riqueza".
Everything is not perfect with CK but at least a lot is done for the future (education and such).

It's indeed political into some aspect like that was already mentionned in the thread (little "war")

Back