Getting a DNI

Just posting my experience here, may be helpful:

I went to Migraciones to get a DNI about 2 weeks ago, so the procedures i went through should still be up to date. The whole process is kind of a hassle if you're not well instructed. The most important thing to note is what steveinbsas posted above, you have to qualify (and obtain) a visa. In my case, i have a job, so i went for a work visa.

Documents i had to get myself were the following:

- NO birth certificate

- 4x4cm Photo on a white background (pretty much any photo place makes these, Fotocarnet en el acta or smthn they're called, make sure to tell them it has to be 4x4 for migraciones)

- Your passport + A copy of every page of your passport (even empty ones)

- Certificado Domicilio. A certificate of home address. You get this by visiting your local police station and paying 10$. Within 72 hours, a policeman will show up at your place and verify that you live there. He'll then give you a stamped paper.

- Certificado de Antecedentes Penales. These are your Argentine criminal records. For this you'll need your passport and a copy of the main page of your passport. You'll have to go to a place downtown (on Tucuman street, at the green subte line Tribunales) and queue for an hour or two. You'll get a number when you first get in. Your number will be called, and you'll go up to desk 1. There, you'll pay either 60$ (to pick up in 24 hrs) or 80$ (to pick up in 6 hrs), get a receipt and sit back down. You'll then be called to desk 2, where you'll present your passport and the copy. The person will ask you for the name of your parents and some general passport related questions, you'll give your fingerprints, and he'll give you a receipt. You'll go back with this receipt in either 6 or 24 hours, and pick up your Antecedentes Penales (NOTE: You don't have to queue outside again to pick up your AP, just go to the door and show your receipt and he'll let you in. This cost me 2 hours xD)

- The police record/criminal records of your home country + Apostille. These records then need to be translated to Spanish by an official BsAs translator. Once they are translated, you need to bring the original + translation to a place called 'Colegio de Traductores', where you'll pay about 50$ and they'll stamp it to verify that it's a correct/official translation.

* Once you have all these, your side is arranged. You'll need additional documents based on the type of visa you want. In my case, the work visa, i needed a copy of my company's "Permission to hire foreign workers", and an original copy of my job contract. Both of which were provided by my company.

---

You then go to Migraciones to apply for your Visa & DNI. You have to apply for a Turno on their website. When you get in, you'll go to the left side of the building first. You have to give your Passport, the 4x4 photo, and your fingerprints. They'll then give you a paper with a number. The number will be called, and you'll have to go to a desk on the right side of the building. (NOTE: There is a super large queue for the desks on the left side. However, that queue is for people from the MERCOSUR area. If you're from outside the MERCOSUR area, tell the person in charge of the queue that you're "EXTRA MERCOSUR" and he'll let you skip the queue).

Once you get called up to the desk on the right side of the building, the person helping you will ask for all the documentation. If it's all correct, he'll tell you to sit down. He'll review it for a bit, and call you back to the window. He'll ask a few questions, and tell you to sit down again. He'll call you back up, and give you 2 receipts:

Receipt 1 is for 600$, to be payed at cash desk 1. This is for the visa.
Receipt 2 is for 30$, to be payed at cash desk 2. This is for your DNI.

You'll return to 'your window' with proof of payment of both. He'll tell you to sit down a final time. When he's done he'll call you back up and present you with your 'residencia precaria' aka your temporary residence/visa. He'll also tell you that there's a backlog in the creation of the DNI's, so it'll be mailed to your house in 2 months (NOTE: mailed to your house means mailed to the address on your Certificado Domicilio you got from the police earlier. If you've moved, they'll still send it to your old address. In my case a hotel xD)

Thanks for the great outline of your recent experience. Very helpful.
Hope you get the DNI in the two month timeframe.
You have made it seem a lot less painful than previous reports!

Many thanks Jll for your detailed experience! Very helpful! Thanks again to Steve for his help too

Hi there Steve and others, wondering if you could help with a quick question. I have my precaria for my work visa and am at the stage of waiting for the DNI to arrive to my house. The tramite is resuelto according to Migraciones but it has not arrived yet. If it doesn't arrive before May 28 I have to go back to Migraciones, but I was wondering if I have to be present at my house to receive the DNI, or if they just slip it under the door? If so, this complicates things as I work all day and live alone with no one to receive it for me-- could I just go back to Migraciones early and ask for the DNI there? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi there Steve and others, wondering if you could help with a quick question. I have my precaria for my work visa and am at the stage of waiting for the DNI to arrive to my house. The tramite is resuelto according to Migraciones but it has not arrived yet. If it doesn't arrive before May 28 I have to go back to Migraciones, but I was wondering if I have to be present at my house to receive the DNI, or if they just slip it under the door? If so, this complicates things as I work all day and live alone with no one to receive it for me-- could I just go back to Migraciones early and ask for the DNI there? Thanks in advance for any help!

they will never just slip it under the door. most likely they won't even deliver it even if you paid extra for that service. at least that has been my experience up to now.

mariposa said:
they will never just slip it under the door. most likely they won't even deliver it even if you paid extra for that service. at least that has been my experience up to now.

You will have a receipt which you were given by the migracciones official, you will need to show this to the postman before he will give you the DNI.

I left my receipt with the portero of the building and this was acceptable to the postman. ( I have a good relationship with my portero)

Question answered myself! DNI was waiting for me today with the portero, apparently the midday temporary woman had received it on Friday for me without me knowing and without previously warning anyone that it would be coming... so I personally did not need a receipt or need to sign anything when they handed over the DNI (libreta). Yay!

so it'll be mailed to your house in 2 months (NOTE: mailed to your house means mailed to the address on your Certificado Domicilio you got from the police earlier. If you've moved, they'll still send it to your old address. In my case a hotel xD)

Hola JLL!

It's been for months, you must have received your DNI already, but how? Were you still in the hotel or you could go to the immigration to pick it up?

I am planning to travel for a while and will move out everything from the house. So if I can pick it up, I would like to pick it up when I returened to the country.

Umm, you can always go to migraciones and ask. I mean, if looking at the requisites online is simply too tasking.

Hi all

I am just wondering How to go about getting a DNI?

I have my police record with an apostille.

Do I need my birth certificate or is my passport enough? I have been told some conflicting information and was wondering if anyone had clear information or past experiences that could help me.

Many thanks!!

Back