Getting a DNI

erian

Registered
Hi all

I am just wondering How to go about getting a DNI?

I have my police record with an apostille.

Do I need my birth certificate or is my passport enough? I have been told some conflicting information and was wondering if anyone had clear information or past experiences that could help me.

Many thanks!!

erian said:
Hi all

I am just wondering How to go about getting a DNI?

I have my police record with an apostille.

Do I need my birth certificate or is my passport enough? I have been told some conflicting information and was wondering if anyone had clear information or past experiences that could help me.

Many thanks!!
Not trying to be un-friendly but: Try doing a search. ALL there information you need is available without starting a new thread.

I have searched and I have read different information. Just looking for past experiences if that's possible…

Thanks

erian said:
I have searched and I have read different information. Just looking for past experiences if that's possible…

Thanks

You must have at least temporary residency to get a DNI.

You can see the types of temporary residency and the requisites here:

http://www.presidencia.gov.ar/

The DNI is mailed to new resdidents within two months.

The DNI is mailed to new resdidents within two months.

that's what they say but it's not the case. two years in a row we applied for a new (temporary) DNI and twice we paid extra to have it delivered by mail. both times it was never sent by mail. both times we had to go look for it (months and months later) in that nightmare bermuda triangle in the calle jujuy.

mariposa said:
that's what they say but it's not the case. two years in a row we applied for a new (temporary) DNI and twice we paid extra to have it delivered by mail. both times it was never sent by mail. both times we had to go look for it (months and months later) in that nightmare bermuda triangle in the calle jujuy.

I think the situation may have improved recently. I know for a fact that two expats that Patricia (my freind from Uruguay) helped at migraciones in late 2011 did receive their DNIs in less than two months.

I have been reading that I need to apply for the Residencia Precaria first and I will receive a DNI but then other pages say you don't receive a DNI… confusing.

Back to the search I go

erian said:
I have been reading that I need to apply for the Residencia Precaria first and I will receive a DNI but then other pages say you don't receive a DNI… confusing.

Back to the search I go

In the past it was necessary to go to a separate location to apply fore the DNI after receiveing residency. That is no longer the case.

You must qualify for residency first. Then (hopefully) the DNI will be sent to you by mail. Everyone who is granted temporary or permanent residency is required by law to have a DNI. In the past it was so difficult to actually get the DNI that some expats with residency didn't bother to get one, but now it should be automatic.

Thanks steve! Still looking into the required documentation for the residencia Precaria. I have a police report from my country which was apostilled there in the Dept. of foreign affairs.

Have read that i need a birth certificate which is apostilled in the argentinian consulate there. But i was i was told here i don't need a birth certificate at all... Just trying to figure it out before i stand in a line for hours! ; /

Thanks for your reply

erian said:
Thanks steve! Still looking into the required documentation for the residencia Precaria. I have a police report from my country which was apostilled there in the Dept. of foreign affairs.

Have read that i need a birth certificate which is apostilled in the argentinian consulate there. But i was i was told here i don't need a birth certificate at all... Just trying to figure it out before i stand in a line for hours! ; /

Thanks for your reply

You're welcome. You won't have to stand in line for hours. You will need to make an appointment on line for a turno. Before you can do this you will need an Argentine police report (penales antecedents)

You don't need the birth certificate, but all of your (foreign) docs need to have the apostille and be translated into Spanish and "legalized" in Argentina.

You still have to qualify for one of the visas as specified on the migraciones website. You have to be a student enrolled full time, have a job with a company registered with migraciones, or have a foreign income (from investments or a pension) of as much as $8000 pesos per month. There are other categories as you can see on the website, but most expats fit in the three I just mentioned.

Back