Getting a job in BA - is it worth it?

elcomandante

Registered
Hi Guys

After arriving in Buenos Aires and liking it so much i decided to stay on and try and get a job (without on official work visa), however a month or so has passed and nothing has come my way apart from a few crappy jobs which would mean i'd hardly be earning enough to survive here seeing as the prices on apartments for rent for forigners are a little high to say the least ..

On the other hand Im british and have the opertunity to go to New Zealand and obtain a work visa for 2 years and work there and stay with a friend

I know which is the easier option but I really wanted to give it a go in BA but it seems theres nothing decent around right now as far as random jobs go (ie teaching English, Bar Work etc) I speak spanish fluently but that doesnt seem to be much help either

An interesting thing to note is that after 2 and a half years in NZ i could become a resident (which my friend has just acomplished), and therefore apply for the year work visa agreement that Argentina has with New Zealand and return to work for a year legally

Just would like to know peoples opinions maybe im looking in the wrong places (ie craigslist) but I dont think so...just seems like it would be very difficult to earn and save money here unless you have a good profesion or your own buisness..

Any opinions what so ever are welcome!

Saludos a todos!

Agreed - if you're looking to save money here, it's unlikely. I work for an Argentine company, get paid in pesos and my rent, which is in dollars, is greater than my salary. That being said, I saved for a few years in the States and am investing in my future. Luckily I was able to find a job before moving to BA, but I might be a rare case. If you can find a job that pays in dollars, euros or pounds, I think you'd be able to save.

Plus if you already speak Spanish fluently, you've accomplished what a lot of others set out to do here.

My two cents.

just a little point: The working holiday visa agreement with NZ is for Citizens ....which is not the same thing as residents. You'd need to spend a little longer there before you could get Citizenship. But as long as you're young enough you won't go over the age-limit for the visa.

Here is my opinion for what it is worth (not a true expat, I still earn my living in the UK)
To stay and work in Argentina, you need very good reason, you either have to love the place or have someone you love there. I have property because I love BsAs and tango and even I think I am mad.
The hastles you will have will be huge, the money you will earn will be pitifull and you will end up bitter.
On the up side the food is great the people freindly and the city is wonderful.
All this makes a great holiday destination, but to live there? You will need very good reason, or you will end up with all the moaners just hating the place.
So my advice, stay and enjoy as long as you can, and when your money runs out, run out after it. Remember the good times and come again for a holiday whenever you can.

I have been coming here on and off for 3 years (go back to NZ to make money for 3 months then back to arg for 9 months to spend it), when i first arrived i loved the place. Not sure if it had something to do with the fact that i had been living in st maartin which made this place look exciting, alive, with heaps to do.
Last year I applied for the retirement visa and since i arrived back I am not so sure i like it anymore. It might have something to do with the fact that i was in europe for the last 5 months where everything works and is efficient compared to here. It also might be that i had other places i wanted to visit in south america so used BASA as a base. Now that i have seen most of what i wanted to see i am now full time mostly in BSAS.
So my advice is to stay here for as long as the money allows, or until you get bored, then go to NZ, work for the 2 years, have fun, and if you get bored with NZ come back with some money.

As for NZ citizenship, I think it takes 3 years of being a resident to be able to apply. I am not sure if the 2 year work visa would count towards the 3 years of being a resident though.

Oh god, it's just starting to dawn unto me. 2 years of fruitlessly checking craigslist, pumping contacts and waiting (hoping) for a sustainable job with nothing but a malbec and steak filled gut straining out over the hem of my jeans and frustrateful self-admonishment and loathing.
Why the bloody hell didn't I just forget employment and disfrute myself in this wonderful city?
And to quote the great uncle Monty; 'Give into it boy, don't let it ruin your youth as I almost did over Eric.'

elcomandante said:
After arriving in Buenos Aires and liking it so much i decided to stay on and try and get a job (without on official work visa), however a month or so has passed and nothing has come my way apart from a few crappy jobs which would mean i'd hardly be earning enough to survive here seeing as the prices on apartments for rent for forigners are a little high to say the least ..
Did you advertise here?

http://buenosaires.olx.com.ar/searchpages.php?searchbox=&section=190

May not pay when you are in a queue with 15697 porteños, but it's for free and there's always chance to rely on.

Like everyone else has been saying, you gotta have really good reasons to be here, because it certainly isn't easy to give up your easier European/US lifestyle and learn how to get by however you can. Most jobs here do not pay well. If you earn in pesos you will HAVE to pay rent in pesos (rent a room if you cannot get a regular apt), because it just won't work out otherwise.

I've been here for over 2 years and am planning on probably another 1.5 or 2 years here, but I have some very strong reasons (biggest reason being love) and also that I want to be 100% fluent in Spanish. Not just fluent, but near-native fluent, and that's something you have to accomplish in a Spanish speakin country!! Despite the difficulties that entails...

KatharineAnn said:
...but I have some very strong reasons (biggest reason being love) and also that I want to be 100% fluent in Spanish. Not just fluent, but near-native fluent, and that's something you have to accomplish in a Spanish speakin country!! Despite the difficulties that entails...

Me too - life's a bitch ain't it jajajaja

I have to agree with most of the analysis of the employment opportunities here in general. If you are here looking to make money you are really going to have to work for it and you will be lucky to see 5,000 pesos a month GROSS after putting in a 40 hour week. Of course, this is if you are working legally. My experience so far has been with friends and family that are working in the medical field as doctors and others that are working in IT. But then you don’t have to worry about medical care or education as it is all free. And you can now even watch soccer for free too now that it is subsidized by the government.

I have heard it said a number of times in this thread that you should have a very good reason or passion for being here. If you don’t, life can be very difficult here.

Back