Getting a Masters in BA

jb5

Registered
For a good American student (ivy league) seeking a masters in something related to business that will be taken seriously, is there any school other than UBA to look at?

I would look for IAE or CEMA... both are good. Nice level for their programs. I am about to start one too.

Cheers!

UBA ? kidding right ?

I'd personally recommend

1.- San andres (daughter of St. Andrew's Scots School)
2.- UCA (Universidad Catolica Argentina)
3.- Torcuato Di Tella / Universidad Austral

In that order.

UBA wouldn't even be in my top 5, in fact I'd first consider the online program offered by the london school of economics before any of these.

Part of the experience is to get to a fully fluent level in reading and writing Spanish.

So not UBA? I am really just starting to look at the system. Are the 3 above well known as the top schools? What makes them good and UBA bad? Are any of these very competitive in the way top US colleges are?

UBA is not good for "connections" degrees, since UBA is a place of, you know, knowledge. Advertising, Business, all of that stuff, in the colleges of the high class (San Andres, Di Tella). UBA is for sciences (social and hard), and some "prestige" degrees that need a lot of study (Law, Architecture), since the private colleges tend to give nice grade to their customers. I don´t think that the high-class schools are competitive, since they exist so the children of the rich can get their connections made (like in most countries, anyway). Get an MBA in one of them and go to UBA classes in anything that you like to mix with scientists and learn something (and the girls, oh my, the girls).

Do the connection schools get you places in AR other than the family business? Are there any foreigners at them? Where do the best students go, or is it just about what you can afford?

Do the connection schools get you places in AR other than the family business? Are there any foreigners at them? Where do the best students go, or is it just about what you can afford?

Somebody that did go to those colleges can give you a better answer. I think that those schools can get you a place in the big local corporations, I don´t know how far their influence goes abroad. Yes, there are foreign students there, and probably programs designed for them, better to look at their web sites. Since the state system is free and open, we don´t have a test that distributes students between "better" and "less" universities, but UBA is highly regarded, and an UBA graduate is very well considered, but this depends on the subject, I don´t even think that UBA has an MBA (maybe they do). It has post-graduate programs in Economics, and of course, the PhD.

WTF marksoc ? LOL u really did make me laugh in-real-life with your posts I seriously hope the 'phun' was indeed intended.

It would be impossible to answer all of these questions without being biased...

jb5 said:
So not UBA?

It really is up to you to decide, I'd certainly not recommend UBA for a business graduate.
jb5 said:
Are the 3 above well known as the top schools?

I'd say yes, although this would likely depend on what you're planning to study.
jb5 said:
What makes them good and UBA bad?

Nobody said UBA was bad, I was just stating my personal opinion or personal preference. (There are great schools in or close to NH, why'd you send your kids to DM and pay 10 times more for basically the same degree that they could prolly get at their local community college? U follow me ?)
jb5 said:
Are any of these very competitive in the way top US colleges are?

You mean with each other? Not really it is a totally different system
jb5 said:
Do the connection schools get you places in AR other than the family business?

Definitely, U serious? This is Argentina, there's no such thing as EOE here...Who you know, Who you are, your last name, where you live, and where did you study are some basic HR questions that could either make or break your job interview.. And let's not even forget that you'd also be better prepared to even work for multinational companies since some of the courses are taught in English.
jb5 said:
Are there any foreigners at them?

Yeap.
jb5 said:
Where do the best students go, or is it just about what you can afford?

Best students go to the best school in their field and if they can't afford it, they just go to the UBA.

Short, harsh and straight forward? A lot of people are going to hate me for saying this but comparing San Andres with UBA in business or economics would be like comparing Wharton with Montana State in the US, and if somebody tells you otherwise... they are either 1.- lefties 2.- poor 3.- peronistas 4.- UBA graduates or alumni.

Reactions: jb5
jb5 said:
For a good American student (ivy league) seeking a masters in something related to business that will be "taken seriously", is there any school other than UBA to look at?
Taken seriously, where? If you apply to P&G with your UBA MBA, I'm not not sure they will take you as seriously as the guy from Cornell. But if you apply locally, you might have some traction. However your cost recapture time on an Argentine salary is going to long and hard.

xtrasback said:

Short, harsh and straight forward? A lot of people are going to hate me for saying this but comparing San Andres with UBA in business or economics would be like comparing Wharton with Montana State in the US, and if somebody tells you otherwise... they are either 1.- lefties 2.- poor 3.- peronistas 4.- UBA graduates or alumni.

I'd be really interested in knowing where you got your facts from. I studied at both La UBA and San Andres. I also got my undergraduate degree at one of the top British Universities.
1) San Andres (and from what I've heard, the other privates) are indeed "networking universities". Their entry requirements are - if you can afford it, you're in! x(not quite the same as Wharton!) That doesn't make for a particularly academic institution. I studied Communications but shared course units with students from Administracion de Negocios. The classes were piss easy.
2) I recently gave a post-grad lecture at one of the private universities here (would rather not say which one...but a supposedly "very good" one and was SHOCKED at the level of the students (not in a good way).
3) When I applied to do a post-grad at La UBA, I was interviewed (read "dragged across the coals) by six members of faculty. They don't let people in who are not up to level (or who don't have the necessary Spanish level) and if you're borderline, they make you take undergrad courses so that you can keep up!
4) Having said all of that, UBA post-grads are notoriously tough. They can take up to 4 years just to get a masters. If you're looking to get a quick qualification (that's respected in Argentina), brush up on your Spanish and get a basic knowledge in your field, I'd be more inclined to go with what one of the other posters said and take your course at one of the privates, and then compliment it with classes at La UBA.
5) As far as I know from friends in the field, Argentina doesn't have the best Business degrees. Punto. I don't think you're going to find a Wharton or LSE equivalent here so if you're looking for something that's going to boost your CV abroad, I don't know if going to school here would be your best choice.

Back