Getting a Non-Argentine IP address

sergio

Registered
I think this was written about here, not sure. I sometimes can't make online purchases in the US using an Argentine IP address. Is there some way that a somewhat technologically-challenged person like me can figure out how to have a US IP address when in Argentina?

Most of the online sites I order from have 800 numbers. So maybe you could call the 800 number via a voip phone line (e.g. skype or yahoo) and make the purchase over the phone.

But if you are ordering something that will be sent to Argentina then you'll have customs to deal with. I've heard that that can be an unpleasant experience.

Use a proxy - google ultra surf, I believe that will give you a US IP. Other forumites may know more, you might want to wait for their advice!

I'm using a proxy service from Ireland with servers in a few countries including the US and the UK. They have a paid option and a free option, and so far I haven't found the need to opt for the paid service as the free server works just fine. The only downside is that you have to download software to use it, but as far as I can tell, there is no spy or malware contained in the file. The service is Overplay and you can find them at www.overplay.net.

I'm testing another option in the US by the name of PublicVPN, and I've been very pleased with their service as well. There is no free option, but if you write to their CS department they'll give you a free 7-day trial. Their paid option is cheaper than Overplay's, clocking in at $6.95 USD p/m versus $9.95 p/m USD. Another advantage of PublicVPN is that there is no software to download; they give you the instructions for setting up a VPN login through the network utility of your existing OS. Their address, as you might have guessed, is www.publicvpn.com. Tell them Coco del Bosque sent you :)

Happy surfing!

in windows you can install the foxyproxy from the firefox add-ons and myentunnel to achieve the same thing. if your hosting doesn't give you ssh, try Tor bundle then. igor's advice is great for linux, do "sudo apt-get install ssh" first in case if you've never used ssh

Thanks for this information. I also just installed Hot Spot Shield and watched a previously banned video clip from CBS News. I had no idea ... . So thanks.

Back