getting started in BA : some advice please!

mienke

Registered
HI everybody,

we are a South African couple that arrived in Buenos Aires 4 days ago.
Big adventure!

We will be staying for atleast 18months, and trying to slowly find our feet.

one or 2 questions:
what is the best local cellphone network to use? And where oh where could I buy the actual simcard? :) think we might go Mobistar route.

Million other question, but think this is a good start :)

Thank you!

Movistar is fine, and you can buy a sim card at most kioskos. Just ask for a "chip"... they only cost about 10 pesos and have your number written on the card so you're all set to go. :)

StuckLikeGlue said:
Movistar is fine, and you can buy a sim card at most kioskos. Just ask for a "chip"... they only cost about 10 pesos and have your number written on the card so you're all set to go. :)

Thats how I bought my SIM card and it works but here's a huge cavet:

If you later want to switch that same number to a different plan, you will not be able to because its not actually registered in your name. If you plan on paying the prepago rates the whole time youre here, thats fine. Otherwise I'd go into one of the service centers to get it. They're the same price there, just involve a little more paperwork.

Always nice to welcome another couple. I think tackling Buenos Aires in a couple presents particular challenges but, a lot of rewards too.

About your phone situation, we've had Personal but a regular contract. Not pre-paid or anything. They've been pretty decent. We use Skype mostly for calls home although we did get international texting when we signed up. Check out a couple places. Comparision shopping here is smart.

Good luck!

Welcome!

18 months! You sound like preparing to make a definite move outside Africa. I have a million honest well intended questions for you guys too! I've been rather curious/fascinated by recent South Africanhistory. Maybe we can exchange experiences.

Matt

Hi everybody,

would definitely be good to meet up with some expats too.
As neither of us speak spanish (yet) it feels quite challenging

Where do some of the expats gather? Keen to meet some people, we are currently living in Palermo, so hopefully close to some of the action :)

*mat: more than welcome to ask those questions
*jayjane: would be nice to meet some other couples too

have a beautiful weekend!

HEllo there, Welcome. I am a Cameroonian and I have been here for a month now. If i can be of assistance, I will be glad to help.

There are some meetings for Expats in Palermo on THURSDAY evenings.

Here we talk over things on migrating to a new country. they can help to settle down in a new country.
the address: Thames 1946

8 to 9.30 PM.

Shirley

Thanx Shirley,

we will make a point of coming to one of those meetings :)

Back