Getting Started in BA

A&A

Registered
Hello Everyone!! My wife and I are here in BA right now, on a vacation/fact finding tour and strongly considering moving from NYC. We have a ton of question and this board since i discovered it has been very helpful. Yet, I still have more questions...many of the legal variety.

So my first question is: Is it worth it or helpful to go the US consulate (we are Americans) to talk to them about: getting DNI?"investor status" etc.? I have traveled a bit vacation wise and never been to an overseas consulate so I have no idea if they even do this stuff?

We would obviously need an apartment and was wondering about buying v. renting (a huge, and constant NYC debate), so was wondering about people's experiences and the of course legal issues.

And finally safety and crime. I have heard and read (on this site too) many mixed things. For me NYC is super safe, as someone pointed out, most crime is relatively confined to the bad areas one is aware of and knows to avoid or be alert. Plus police response is great. Here it seems random and free for all? I have a "fearless" wife and a new baby on the way, so I worry.

Sorry for the long post...I have 10 days left to figure out my future....lol....:confused::(....:rolleyes:

A&A said:
So my first question is: Is it worth it or helpful to go the US consulate (we are Americans) to talk to them about: getting DNI?"investor status" etc.? I have traveled a bit vacation wise and never been to an overseas consulate so I have no idea if they even do this stuff?

No. The US consulate does not deal with those types of things. They deal with things related to the US: issuing US passports, issuing US visas, etc.

We would obviously need an apartment and was wondering about buying v. renting (a huge, and constant NYC debate), so was wondering about people's experiences and the of course legal issues.
RENT. don't think of buying until you have thoroughly researched this issue.

[/quote]

A&A said:
. . . . I still have more questions...many of the legal variety. . . .
If you've carefully reviewed the wealth of information to be found here and on the websites of the Argentine government (some are mirrored in English, but, if you're seriously considering a move soon, you probably read Spanish, too) without finding the information you seek, consult an Argentine lawyer. Many in Buenos Aires speak decent English, should you fear that your comprehension of Spanish is insufficient.

Does anyone have a B&A attorney that they recommend to handle visa issues?

Do they charge a flat fee? or is it hourly? and how much should I expect it to cost?

Do they have solid command of english, as my spanish is "beginner caveman" and so I want to make sure I understand everything. ;)

A&A -- send me a PM and I can provide you with the details for the attorney that I am using to get my DNI with a "turno preferencial" which speeds up the process immensely. They speak great English.
Suerte!

Hi A&A, good luck with your decision.

Most of your topics are well-discussed in this forum and elsewhere.

In terms of crime, I'll just say that I moved here from Tribeca 3 years ago, and I feel just as safe here (Palermo Soho/Botanico, near Sta Fe) as there.

Regarding buy vs rent, I think it's a question of value, as it's always been in NY. If you find something to buy that you love and think is good value for the long run, by all means buy it. If you're uncertain whether you want to be here for the long term, or what neighborhood you want to be in, then you're better off taking a short-term rental until you figure things out a bit.

Back