Getting US Dollars to Pay Rent

I have been paying my rent in USD by exchanging my ARS for USD at a close-to-market rate at Banco Patagonia. It has been a few months, so I don't know their going rate but you can simply walk in to a branch (in my case, the one at Sta. Fe and S. Ortiz) and they should have a page posted prominently concerning foreign currency exchange and the going rate. Once you confirm with the receptionist, you wait in line (!) and then do the deed behind the glass. They will give you up to US$ 1,000 per day and you simply need to present a passport or similar document. Nothing shady. Beware of the rates at stand-alone casas de cambio. Some of them are downright highway robbery.

ive always done significant exchanges at banco de la nacion on pza de mayo. and then very nervously taken the subway home while clutching the hell out of my bag (i have little faith in taxis here). my understanding was that they had better rates and higher daily limits. am i wasting my time with that hour-long underground queue?

last time i was desperate i paid 4.30 to buy almost 1000usd in a nearly unmarked shop off pza italia. i asked 3 times because i was sure she must have said "trece" and not "treinta." they didnt ask for ID. ive seriously considered denouncing them.

kletus said:
last time i was desperate i paid 4.30 to buy almost 1000usd in a nearly unmarked shop off pza italia. i asked 3 times because i was sure she must have said "trece" and not "treinta." they didnt ask for ID. ive seriously considered denouncing them.

Denounce them? Surely you must be kidding.

4.30 is the standard black market rate, the one you have to pay if you don't want to do business with people who make you present your passport, or more likely your DNI. This is the option of choice for those who do not wish to apprise the local authorities of their finances. Argentines doing business here pay 4.30 without batting an eye. Everyone knows this. Heck, (some of) the people who sell for 4.30 buy for 4.20 or more. Who would give a rat's posterior about this being reported?

ben said:
There are all sorts of stories on people being seen at banks, and then being followed on motorcycles - sometimes to their home - before being robbed where convenient.

Yeah, once on my way from a bank back home I took a picture of some people on motocycles following me.

20090508260903107.jpg

Back