Getting Usd From Abroad

estebandepraga

Registered
Hi to all,
I know this has been addressed but as we are in daily-changing restrictions(or rather less of them) I have friends from abroad who would like to have money sent to them but getting it in USD; is this a posssibilty. The money would come from Dubai, not USA or UK. Thanks.

Forget the banking system, for now. The easyest way might be wire it thru XOOM or RIA,collect it in pesos if necessary and then change them into USD

When I bought my Apt here I trans. U$D from my Chase account in the US to Casa Puente here in BA.
http://www.puentenet.com/home/home.action
Had to pay a nominal fee, for the trans. I did the closing at their exchange house. Very professional.
Recommended.

So I came across a site call Moneytis (https://moneytis.com). It compares options for sending money from one place to another. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of the results.

I've always used Xoom but with the regime change I decided to review my options tonight. So far, I still like Xoom.

Re: Moneytis -- Moneytis did not give me an accurate exchange rate when I compared directly with Xoom. Moneytis gave me an exchange rate, using Xoom, of 13,592 ARS for a $1,000 USD transfer. Directly from Xoom's website for the same $1,000 USD transfer, a quoted 14,013 ARS (including fees, it changes it to an effective 13,605 ARS exchange rate). So take Moneytis' results with a grain of salt and do your homework. Also, Moneytis did not offer Dubai as an option as point of origin.

I've used Xoom for the past few years, and have been happy with the service.

I doubt you can receive dollars in Argentina. You will most likely have to do what Henry suggested as receive pesos and change them to dollars.

Your other alternative is to go to Colonia in Uruguay where you can get dollars. Xoom has a limit of $3,000 USD per transfer available for pickup at four RedPagos locations in Colonia. I recommend arranging your pickup at the RedPagos at Shopping Colonia which is a fairly secure location. Go in the morning just as they open and there won't be any other customers.
The first time I used Xoom, I tried to pickup at the RedPagos in the middle of the historic tourist area. The clerk balked when I told him I wanted to pick up $2,500 and told me he didn't have that much in the safe and that I should have called ahead. The other RedPagos locations refused to deal with me since the pickup location was branch specific. So I got screwed that day. So while I did get screwed out of my transfer, I did notice the location at Shopping Colonia was more secure like a bank branch and that day there were about a dozen big ass burly eastern European contract workers cashing their paychecks for mad amounts of Euros. If they have stacks of Euros in the safe there, they must have stacks of dollars. Even so, I call that location a few days ahead of time just to make sure and have never had a problem.

Now I have to figure out if its worth taking an entire day and buying a ticket to Colonia to pick up dollars or just get pesos here in town.
Hope this helps.

I have used western union in PARAGUAY for large sums of money. I retrieved $9000 cash to bring back to Bs As. You will not be able to take out USD in Bs As unless you are lucky enough to meet a business owner or friend/family who has saved in dollars and is willing to part with some cash. Western Union has extremely low fees and I can vouch that my experience was very smooth. You will get a transaction code and have to have somebody in US send you the cash.

I have never been able to go to a bank anywhere in South America and retrieve USD. Keep in mind that Argentina does not have western union that will devolve cash in USD, this will have to be done outside of the country.

I hope this helps.

Back