Getting USD?

Quoting "mndygue": "I was having the same problem a few months ago. I finally found a place that lets you get up to $5000 USD per month out in cash using your debit or credit card. It's Banco Piano on San Martin 345 (near Florida). . . ."
I've been by that place often. Isn't it really an exchange house that also sells gold? Wouldn't that mean that the charge for arbitrage on five thousand dollars would be -- well, perhaps a hundred dollars or more?

If you have an Amex card you can get a cash advance from their office at Arenales 707 near Plaza San Martin. Depending on which type of card you have there's a different maximum amount they can give you per week.

Hola, quick update.
Got it sorted through banco piano. Had a chat with the guy there, they are supposedly the only bank that offers this service. If you don't want to queue at a big branch there's a mini desk inside the sheraton hotel in microcentro which is pretty handy. Only problem I had was that you have to but the dollars in small denominations for some reason, so I ended up with a sackful of notes. Take a bag!
Windy - lighten up mate, no need to be rude. I checked with reception at supervielle in microcentro first and they told me that there wouldn't be a problem. Being told you can do something is usually a good indication that its possible :)Anyways, looks like banco piano are the outfit to call on if you need dollars

I am curious what was the service charge at piano bianco?

Quoting "jp": ". . . . Anyways, looks like banco piano are the outfit to call on if you need dollars"
Jp, what were you charged? Or, how did the rate you were given compare to the rates available at ATMs?

Was charged 3.22 pesos for each dollar bought. Will no doubt have to pay something else on top of that because I'm drawing funds from a UK bank account.
Not the greatest rate to be honest, but a lot better than taking 12 days to withdraw the equivalent amount in pesos and getting charged for each withdrawal. The only other option I had was to do a western union, and that involves imposing on someone else to send it to me.
I've generally been getting charged around 50 GBP for withdrawing 300 pesos from an ATM, but the charges seem to vary depending what machine I use.

Glad you got it sorted. For future reference JP, you can get cards from the UK which don't charge an ATM fee & also don't add the 'loading' fee on top of the exchange rate - at the mo there are Nationwide's Flexaccount debit card, & Abbey Zero credit card. Might be worth your while applying for them.

Back