gift for cleaning lady at Xmas?

amat

Registered
HI all,

Is it customary to give a gift or tip to the lady that cleans our apartment for Xmas? I was going to get her some chocolates or something similar. Would she be expecting something else?

thanks!

AR$100 in monedas might say "I appreciate what you do here." more than any chocolate, wine, dulce de leche...

Every week I make a special trip to the bank to get AR$20 in monedas for our lady and she is extremely thankful. The banks, in their infinite laziness, are only open 5 days a week and for only 5 hours a day (10am-3pm). Our lady works from 10am-3pm (and I think she works the same hours or longer at her other locations during the week) so she can't make it to the bank.

Monedas, monedas, monedas... unless you think of something nicer.

-N

I give $100 pesos (a $100 note). None of my Argentine friends give money. Maybe a pan dulce, that's all.

Most Argentines will give pan dulce & a bottle of sidra... for that reason I never do -- how many pan dulces can one person eat? In the past I've usually put together a picada basket with a salamin, queso, chips, nuts, mantecol, higos, etc. This year I don't know how big it will be unfortunately since prices for these things have gone up so much!

It is a very old tradition to give an extra pay (if not a full month's pay) in most of South America to those who work for you. For some reason it seems some may consider this a little old school, but give it some consideration. Depending on your point of view, $100 pesos is about 17 Euros or 25 US. If that is what your budget allows then go for it! If you can do a bit more, go for that. But giving $ is the best thing--and lovely if it is $ in addition to a nice Christmas treat (you'd be shocked at how many pan dulces they actually can eat!!!!!).

nledec said:
It is traditional to give an extra pay (if not a full month's pay) in most of South America to those who work for you.

Am I understanding you correctly? One full month of pay?

The thing is, I don't pay her directly. She's paid by my landlord. I guess $100 pesos and some chocolate will be fine.

nledec said:
It is traditional to give an extra pay (if not a full month's pay) in most of South America to those who work for you.

iStar said:
Am I understanding you correctly? One full month of pay?
I would think an extra pay means a one day or one time cleaning charge, unless nledec is a cleaning lady union representative:)

Exactly--if it is someone who receives a regular monthly salary from you, you would give an extra month's salary. If it is someone who is paid for each time of service you could get away with doing an extra pay.
Not a union rep. :) I promise. I've just been down here for ages and am used to celebrating the holidays with my big latin family--which includes helping to count out the $ envelopes for Navidad!
Amat--you're right that it is tricky since your landlord pays her salary, so I'd say go with the cash and the chocolates. I'm sure she'll be pleased especially as it is given with good heart.

Back