GMT clocks are a changing

Katser

Registered
Forgive this post but the whole concept of time confuses me but I was wondering:

The GMT clocks go forward one hour on Sunday.

Now I seem to remember there was some confusion the last time the clocks changed here or didn't but were supposed to! :confused:

So basically, are the clocks changing here?

Thanks!

As far as I know nothing is changing here. We didn't change to summer time and now we will not change to winter time.

One hour more difference with Europe :eek: how annoying...

because we didn't go forward in October, we have no reason to go back. :)

esllou said:
because we didn't go forward in October, we have no reason to go back. :)

That makes sense!! :eek:

Thanks, the concept of daylight savings time is just one of those things that my brain just refuses to comprehend!

Hate to rain on your parade - but GMT (also called UTC or Zulu Time) NEVER CHANGES - what is correct, is that UK (and Portugal) local time changes to GMT+1 hour. If you want to see the official GMT/UTC time - it is on www.time.gov - that is the one used by airlines for official ATC time worldwide...
I am a retired airline pilot - so I think I "vaguely" know about this...! Funny to you maybe, but even though retired, my wristwatch remains always on that time. Argentina time is just "GMT minus 3 hrs for me" - Old habit...

Best regards -

Skipper747 said:
Hate to rain on your parade - but GMT (also called UTC or Zulu Time) NEVER CHANGES - what is correct, is that UK (and Portugal) local time changes to GMT+1 hour. If you want to see the official GMT/UTC time - it is on www.time.gov - that is the one used by airlines for official ATC time worldwide...
I am a retired airline pilot - so I think I "vaguely" know about this...! Funny to you maybe, but even though retired, my wristwatch remains always on that time. Argentina time is just "GMT minus 3 hrs for me" - Old habit...

Best regards -

Thanks. I thought it sounded a bit strange that "GMT would be changing". I just couldn't quite put my finger why. LOL.

Hola Mini -

Yes I agree with you - somewhat funny, that Greenwich local time is 1 hour later than "GMT" during summer - keeping in mind that G = Greenwich - Actually, GMT is no longer the official name (although many still call it like that) - the name being now UTC, for Universal Time Coordinated, and the official "clock" for the world time is located in Fort Collins, Colorado - at the National Bureau of Standards

Before the days of the GPS - crews in airplanes or vessels used the "BBC World" shortwaves broadcast (Big Ben on the hour) to synchronize their clocks... it was considered as the most practical way to get an accurate time check, i.e. for navigation purpose.

Best regards -

My sincerest apologies for offending your pedantic sensibilities.

I was simply using a colloquialism common in my part of the world which refers to time as gmt.

I’m just lucky that Howard, Katti and esllou were able to look past my grievous error and answer my question politely.

Also luckily I scheduled my time changing parade yesterday in Palermo and there was no rain!

Back