Go to Uruguay every 90 days.. or just stay in AR and pay a fine later?

rcmedia said:
I'll probably never give up my Canadian citizenship based solely on the fact I am guaranteed a good pension and free medical coverage for the rest of my life.
Well............you are thinking wrong. You do not give up your Canadian Citizenship, you gain Dual citizenship. Free medical on both sides. Plus in AR medical is free anyway so your Canadian travel deal is kind of a joke. [now we can start the debate as why some think private insurance in AR is better] YAWN. Who cares.

ghost said:
Well............you are thinking wrong. You do not give up your Canadian Citizenship, you gain Dual citizenship. Free medical on both sides. Plus in AR medical is free anyway so your Canadian travel deal is kind of a joke. [now we can start the debate as why some think private insurance in AR is better] YAWN. Who cares.

I think Canada has a different policy regarding dual citizenship and I would not want to rely on "free" healthcare in Argintina if I was seriously ill.

(I'll be happy if I'm the one who is wrong.)

steveinbsas said:
It is 100% legal to extend a 90 day tourist visa once for an additional 90 days if you receive the prorroga de permanencia at the office of migraciones.

The visa can be renewal only once, no matter where you do it.

rcmedia said:
I'll probably never give up my Canadian citizenship based solely on the fact I am guaranteed a good pension and free medical coverage for the rest of my life.

Hi, some clarifications. I am a local attorney.

The law changed a year ago and now, to overstay and to abuse of the visa renewal are both equially illegal, that s whu I always suggest to overstay instead of doing the Uruguay trip because it is useless and a jeopardy because they can deny your re entry.

However, this is a civilized country where those illegalities doesn t mean that your are commiting a crime, it is just an administrative irregularity that can he healed if you apply for residency or citizenship.

Citizenship has low requirements in this country (if you enforce the valid law, of course) and you can apply after 1 year with your passport, a police address certificate and you can evidence your honest way of living using 2 witnesess.

The procedure takes 1 year more or less.

You don t give up your Canadian citizenship. I suggest you e mail the Canadian Consul in Argentina and you ask about any doubt you have.

You can read more about this at my website.

Regards

rcmedia said:
In addition to that... if I were ever to need some kind of surgery, and was able to travel, my insurance also covers 100% of a medical airlift back to Canada, at which point my surgery or whatever would be free of charge compliments of the Canadian taxpayers.

What? You're asking about staying in Argentina for years. To be eligible for medical coverage in BC you must be present in the province for 6 months out of every year, unless you get that special letter from them before you leave. Then you're covered for a max of 2 years. After that you're paying out of pocket for all medical treatments, no matter if you hold Canadian citizenship.

From the MSP website:
Temporary Absence from British Columbia

You may be eligible to receive coverage for up to 24 consecutive months of absence while temporarily outside B.C. Approval is limited to once in five years for absences that exceed six months in a calendar year.

Residents who spend part of every year outside B.C. must be physically present in Canada at least six months in a calendar year and continue to maintain their home in B.C. in order to retain coverage. If you are unsure whether you will qualify for coverage during an absence or know your eligibility will end, contact MSP with details.

When you stay outside B.C. longer than the period for which you are entitled to coverage, you will be required to fulfill a waiting period upon return to the province before coverage can be renewed.

Back