good hairdresser

hey guys, i was wondering if you could help.. what should i ask for when ordering a wash, blow dry and straighten?? I've looked everywhere, but can't get an easy answer.. and some hairdressers look at me blankly with my limited spanish :) Would love to learn how to ask. Thanks!

therealsupa said:
hey guys, i was wondering if you could help.. what should i ask for when ordering a wash, blow dry and straighten?? I've looked everywhere, but can't get an easy answer.. and some hairdressers look at me blankly with my limited spanish :) Would love to learn how to ask. Thanks!

lavado y peinado is a wash and blow out. Normally they will blow it out straight but if there is confusion - the word for straight is lacio. Hope that helps.

And I will recommend Ryan as well. I went to him the other day and yes, he is pricey but he is super good with colour. He also talked me into chopping a few inches to get rid of my damaged ends and my hair has never felt more healthy. He was completely right.

Citygirl, sorry for late reply... only just saw your reply Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.

What's Ryan's costings like? Sounds like he is the man to go see.

Nina (Nina9, posted on page 1 of the thread) came to my house a week or so ago and gave me a fantastic haircut. (And this post isn't my first one on the forum...) She charged me 60 pesos for a haircut... Fantastic deal, considering there was absolutely no ambiguity in what I wanted (language misunderstandings) and I didn't have to leave my house! I recommend her!

I contacted Ryan last year, and his prices were definitely way too high for me. He wanted 85 pesos for a cut... So 15 USD (Nina) vs 21.5 USD (Ryan), I think the choice was obvious.... :)

Ryan wanted 100 pesos. Nina charged 60 for a standard man's cut and came to my place today. I like her cut and she was a pleasant person..

I had a haircut with Nina about a month ago, and she was great. She came to my house, and is super friendly. She made sure that I got the exact cut I wanted, and I'm very pleased with the results. She charged 80 pesos for a woman's cut, which was totally reasonable. I would definitely recommend her. I believe she also does color, but you need to go over exactly what you want beforehand, since she would need to bring all the supplies to your house.

I haven't been to Ryan yet, but several of my friends have and they all received great hair cuts, and were very satisfied. He's *slightly* more expensive, but I think some of the threads here saying he is "pricey" are a bit exaggerated.

Anyway, I think either of them is a good choice!

bookgirl531 said:
I had a haircut with Nina about a month ago, and she was great. She came to my house, and is super friendly. She made sure that I got the exact cut I wanted, and I'm very pleased with the results. She charged 80 pesos for a woman's cut, which was totally reasonable. I would definitely recommend her. I believe she also does color, but you need to go over exactly what you want beforehand, since she would need to bring all the supplies to your house.

I haven't been to Ryan yet, but several of my friends have and they all received great hair cuts, and were very satisfied. He's *slightly* more expensive, but I think some of the threads here saying he is "pricey" are a bit exaggerated.

Anyway, I think either of them is a good choice!

I agree, saying that someone is MUCH pricier because they charge 20 pesos more is a bit ridiculous. After the few disasters that I've had down here, I would have GLADLY paid the extra 20 pesos to ensure that my hair wasn't jacked up and that I looked fresh and clean. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a bad haircut...ugh

I'm a guy and I'm currently paying 45 pesos for my haircut. I compare that to a Supercuts Haircut in the States. If I can get a Salon type haircut from someon with Western style, I'm willing to spend what I spent in the states ($55USD). Maybe I'm mental, but I just feel so much better when I have a good haircut....

gsi16386 said:
I agree, saying that someone is MUCH pricier because they charge 20 pesos more is a bit ridiculous. After the few disasters that I've had down here, I would have GLADLY paid the extra 20 pesos to ensure that my hair wasn't jacked up and that I looked fresh and clean. There's nothing more embarrassing than having a bad haircut...ugh

I'm a guy and I'm currently paying 45 pesos for my haircut. I compare that to a Supercuts Haircut in the States. If I can get a Salon type haircut from someon with Western style, I'm willing to spend what I spent in the states ($55USD). Maybe I'm mental, but I just feel so much better when I have a good haircut....

The difference is about 30-40 pesos.

Most Argentines and a lot of foreigners I know are making anywhere from $15 ARS to $30 an hour. (Some make less than $15..)

So, while $30-$40 ARS may not be a lot of money for you, for some people it isn't just pocket change.

I'm sure those who charge $100 pesos for a men's haircut are nice folks and do a good job. I never said otherwise. But the people who charge $60 also seem to be nice folks and do a good job. So, why pay $40 more? :confused:

Well, I can't speak for you but for me, the most important thing is for me to have a hairdresser who understands my hair, who take the time to get to know what I want and who is good with color and cuts. I know when I go to Ryan, he's going to take his time (it usually takes a few hours), he's not going to rush and he's going to give me a cut and/or colour that I love. That's the important thing. The price really is not really a factor, esp with cuts or colour. With some things, like a blow out, I'll use my local salon. It's closer, cheaper and frankly, the blowouts last longer.

I'm sure there are other talented hairdressers here in BsAs, some who charge less and some who charge more. Finding the right person is important and different hairdressers will be better for different people.

This is a big city and there's room for lots of different stylists.

username said:
Hello,

I got a haircut 3 weeks ago, and I'm not very satisfied so this time I would like to go to a good hairdresser. A saloon which is well recognized and where they speak English. I can pay up to 200 pesos and I'm a guy (guys sometimes get cheaper haircuts then girls). I would really appreciate any tips you can give me.

Cheers!

expat NZ hairdresser http://globaljet.weebly.com Good waves and good luck, Raymond

Back