Good Ideas for Kids on a Rainy Weekend?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Hi, all. What are your suggestions for places to take kids ages 8 and 12 on a rainy weekend in Buenos Aires? We prefer free or inexpensive.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with Nikad, El Abasto in barrio Once is a good diversion for kids. There's the museum, food court, cinema, indoor amusement park, and a huge gaming area. Second best is the Alto Palermo mall at Santa Fe and Col. Diaz: a nice gaming area on the top floor and a food court, plus a cinema 2 blocks away.

Natural History museum in Parque Centenario has a decent selection of dinosaur skeletons (as long as you don't go expecting the Smithsonian or NYC's Natural Hist museums).

I've never been to the Planetarium, might be worth checking out though one afternoon.

Check out the cultural agenda in the newspapers, as we get closer to winter holidays especially -- they'll start listing more and more activities for kids.

Never forget that BA has over 100 museums, nearly all of them are free.

Check out: www.museos.buenosaires.gov.ar/

While the museum of the national debt likely won´t be much fun for your kids, there is a toy museum. If your kids speak Spanish, the Bicentenario museum (free, behind Casa Rosada) is very modern and has lots of video displays. Its the history of Argentina. It´s only 2 years old so everything isn´t broken yet. And they give you your own guide if you want, on the way in. The museum of the holocaust is also well done, if a bit depressing - but you can´t keep the kids in the closet forever. Many of the larger museums have programs especially for kids as well.

If your kids are boys, there is the museum of weapons in Plaza San Martin. I think it is $10 for adults, but its an interesting collection od old swords and guns. The building it is in (Palacio Paz) is one of the largest (formerly private) houses in Buenos Aires and there are tours of the first floor. I think there is an army museum as well, Navy museum is in Tigre.

Lastly, Bosques de Palermo are full of fun stuff: lakes, geese, swans, rude roller-bladers and the planetarium, which I love.

Back