Good Market To Buy Seafood?

Travelbug0601

Registered
Does anyone know of a place that has a good selection of seafood with good quality and reasonable prices? I've read barrio chino is a good place, but wondering about a specific place? Any help would be great!

Also are pine nuts available here in BA? Looked in a few markets and don't see them.

Hi! Yes, the Barrio Chino is your best bet. I have found that they have a better selection (relatively speaking) than what can normally be found in supermarkets. The prices and varieties of fish/seafood are better. They stock up pretty frequently, I suppose because one of the best-selling/most demanded products that many of their customers come there for is for the option of fresh seafood (although they also have frozen).

It's also good because you can see all the filets of (example) fish and specify to the guy behind the counter by pointing out, "I want THIS one, or THESE two." Even if you seem like a pain to him, it doesn't matter, you see what you're getting, and you can select the piece that is most appealing to you. Also, if you don't want an end piece, or if you only want a small piece, you get to choose what is best for you.

Especially if you are dealing with perishable meats (and for the going prices these days!) you'd better get exactly what you want!

No idea on pine nuts, but the Barrio Chino would also probably be your best bet!

For pine nuts, read this thread http://baexpats.org/topic/21530-pine-nuts/page__hl__%2Bpine+%2Bnuts

For seafood, Barrio Chino is in fact the best option (go to the supermarket facing a school = on calle Mendoza, between Arribenos & Montaneses). Otherwise you have Ostramar on Santa Fe (a bit pricy). Going to Central Market will provide you with prices 20/25% lower but that will be the same offering as in Capital (plus the cost of going there). I'm still looking for fresh King Crab from Ushuaïa and I'll ask a seafood importer from BA next week about that (likely a group purchase will be needed).

Ostramar on Santa Fe, good and easy if you live near there, my favorite.
Nancy

Probably not a well known place for fish...in Flores. The place is absolutely full all the time. They have fresh seafood that they sell at a really good price. They will cook it for you in the moment to go in whatever way you wish, sell it fresh, and they also sell already prepared seafood to go. They have all kinds of fish. You can find the place by taking the subway down to plaza flores (or a bus), and get off there and ask (I forget the exact location, just ask for the pescaderia and everyone will know). It's only about two or three blocks from there. Believe me, you will get better prices than the places listed above. Good white salmon there, too.

If not, there's also a good one in Caballito, in Pedro Goyena and Senillosa, around that area. They have decent variety as well. Can't top the one in Flores though.

Probably not a well known place for fish...in Flores. The place is absolutely full all the time. They have fresh seafood that they sell at a really good price. They will cook it for you in the moment to go in whatever way you wish, sell it fresh, and they also sell already prepared seafood to go. They have all kinds of fish. You can find the place by taking the subway down to plaza flores (or a bus), and get off there and ask (I forget the exact location, just ask for the pescaderia and everyone will know). It's only about two or three blocks from there. Believe me, you will get better prices than the places listed above. Good white salmon there, too.

If not, there's also a good one in Caballito, in Pedro Goyena and Senillosa, around that area. They have decent variety as well. Can't top the one in Flores though.

Are you talking about the one on bonorino and falcon? That one is very good although I'd still have to give barrio chino an edge.

Central market:
http://baexpats.org/topic/24490-is-food-really-so-expensible-continue-of-the-13000-thread/page__hl__13.000
Regards

Back