Good Places To Try Wine?

Steph170

Registered
Hi all, can anyone recommend bars etc. that have a good variety of wine available? I have a friend visiting and they want to go somewhere quite traditional so they can sample Argentine wine. I am not a wine connoisseur so any recommendations would be most appreciated. I have already looked into a wine tasting evening but it is a bit pricey and a fancy for us :)

If you want a nice suggestion, go to a wine store and ask them to recommend 4 or 5 good not too pricey wines, take them home, order some takeout or cook something special. Have the wine tasting at home for a fraction of the price and in a very relaxed setting.

I'd guess many of the tasting events offered here are tourist traps, even though I'd like to hear a good recommendation, too. Alternatively, many wineries offer these kinds of courses. Even though you obviously taste their products, you get a nice overview of different kinds of wines/grapes and they are often quite inexpensive. Another option you might consider is going to a fine restaurant and get a degustation menu with wine pairing. For instance, in Aramburu you will get great food together with a nice selection of 5 (?) different wines, and the sommelier is really good. She also brought a box with all the different basic aromas which can be found in a Malbec, so you can try and find them.

I am with you Thorsten, I feel bad when people fall into the tourists traps from wine, tours and fixing appliances....

Always make sure you make some good Argentine friends who will give you advice on any topic. Locals love to give an opinion and when asked for one they will go out of their way to find the best answer for a friend. One of the beauties about Argentine friends, very very good ones when you find them.

Maybe Pain et Vin? There is also a huge wine bar on Gorriti before Pain et Vin. It always looks empty but looks like it might be a neat spot. One of the best picadas I have ever had here (i.e. only good quality meats, cheeses, olives, pickles - no papas or palitos or any of that crap) is at El Nono Amigo and they seem to have quite a bit of a wine selection at good prices.

Just please stay away from Anuva. The biggest source of misinformation I've seen in BsAs.

Back